[OPEN] Thinking About Life

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[OPEN] Thinking About Life

Post by Sayuri Motozaki on Sat May 03, 2014 5:24 pm

It was a warm, pleasant spring day, with barely a cloud in the sky. Sayuri had decided to take advantage of the sunny weather to go for a walk - or rather, a roll - through the park. She now found herself lying down in the grass, wheelchair beside her, looking up at the sky and contemplating life.

Exams were over. In just a few days, Sayuri would be turning eighteen. All that was left of school now was graduation next month. After that, Sayuri would settle into a comfortable job at a newly-opened branch of her father's publishing company, in the city nearby. She'd find a nice man, get married and settle down, and over time she'd rise up the ranks of the company and eventually take her father's place as CEO. Her life had been mapped out for her, but it was a future she was perfectly happy with; she would have a guaranteed job with a good wage and excellent career prospects. What's more, that secure employment left her with only one thing she needed to worry about...

Sayuri glanced at her malformed legs, hidden beneath the long skirt of her favourite black dress. Wait, scratch that. Two things.

The first, of course, was the worry that her legs would never regain their strength, and she would be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. As much as she was coming to terms with her present disability, and the limitations it imposed on her, she still longed to one day be able to walk properly again. She missed the feelling of it. And besides, there was a stigma of weakness attached to being wheelchair-bound, Sayuri felt, and it could impact her career. Who would take orders from someone who had to look up while issuing them? And that brought her on to the second worry...in order to get married, settle down and have a family, she'd have to first find that nice man that would be willing to do so, even taking into account her condition. And she had seven years to do so, or else she would be left on the shelf, her best years behind her. It's not like I'm not pretty from the waist up...but if I could walk properly again, if my legs weren't so crippled, I'd have more of a chance...

Sayuri shifted one of her legs so that it peeked out through the long slit in the side of her skirt. When she first arrived at Yamaku she'd tried defiantly to build up the strength in her legs again, but over time she'd stopped doing so, especially with the amount of studying she'd been doing in preparation for her exams. While this had significantly reduced the number of embarrassing incidents where she'd fallen out of her wheelchair and had to be rescued, it could potentially have caused her leg muscles to waste away even further due to lack of use. It was hard to tell in the bright sunlight, but to Sayuri her pale leg looked even more skeletal than before.

Sayuri was so hung up about these problems that she did not notice someone approaching her.
Sayuri Motozaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OPEN] Thinking About Life

Post by Wade Wilson Jr. on Sat May 03, 2014 9:30 pm

'Yo! Motozaki!' Wade's usual cheerful voice rings out from behind the lying girl. Just a few seconds later, the black-haired boy is already leaning above her, dressed in his usual casual clothing of green hoodie and blue jeans and holding some weird, pink tube-like object in his hand. Wade promptly waves the object over Sayuri's face, revealing it to be a large can of chips. 'I've got this huge can of smokey bacon Pringles and am looking for a person to share it with! And since I can't get a hold of Hawke, prefer not to go anywhere near Grimm and Chiharu has a restraining order against me after catching me naked in public twice, you're next on the priority list!'

Without even asking permission, Wade sits down next to Sayuri and opens the can, then places it in between them before grabbing the first chip and putting it in his mouth. 'Oh, wow... Frankly, that tastes nothing like the smokey bacon we have in Canada... Weird...' he mutters to himself while chewing. 'Then again, it could just be in my head... I haven't had Canadian Pringles since last year. What do you think?'
Wade Wilson Jr.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayuri Motozaki on Sat May 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Distracted by her continuing thoughts, surprised by Wade's sudden appearance, and baffled by pretty much everything he had said, it takes Sayuri a moment or two to formulate a response.

"...I'm sorry, what?"
Sayuri Motozaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wade Wilson Jr. on Sat May 03, 2014 9:53 pm

'Oh yeah, almost forgot you've never had Canadian Pringles either...' Wade rolls his eyes and grabs another chip, then puts it in his mouth. 'It's a very different taste, but the different is subtle. Canadian Pringles tastes a bit more... Chippy? It's like... Okay, it's like Japanese Pringles is some kind of Japanese food that's trying to emulate chips, while Canadian Pringles is the real deal. Does that make sense?'
Wade Wilson Jr.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayuri Motozaki on Sat May 03, 2014 10:02 pm

"I suppose so." Thinking it would be rude not to take food that was offered to her, Sayuri pulls herself into a sitting position, takes a chip and eats it. "Tastes fairly good to me. Though I wouldn't say I'm a connoisseur of these types of snacks."
Sayuri Motozaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wade Wilson Jr. on Sat May 03, 2014 10:14 pm

'Yeah, yeah, I know you're used to full-course dinners, ojou-sama, but you can't survive on alaminutes and cordon bleus' Wade teases. 'Junk food is still an essential part of the food pyramid, so it can't be overlooked! I should probably send you a few cans of Canadian Pringles when I get back home. I'm just looking out for you!'
Wade Wilson Jr.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayuri Motozaki on Sat May 03, 2014 10:22 pm

Again, Sayuri is slightly confused by Wade's speech. "I see." She subtly adjusts the skirt of her dress so her leg is once again hidden, and takes another chip.
Sayuri Motozaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wade Wilson Jr. on Sat May 03, 2014 10:31 pm

With a sigh, Wade lies down on the grass next to Sayuri. 'By the way, congrats on your grades. I think you're the only one in the entire school who passed 90%, which is like, whoa!' he chuckles. 'I mean, not even Setsuna got over 90%, and he's supposed to be this super-smart mafia war machine or whatever. The only other person I know who has over 90% is my niece, but she's a genius who hops through grades like she's playing Hopscotch, so no one really expected anything less from her. So, with that said, I gotta ask...' he turns his head towards her and grins. 'How do you feel about being the smartest person in Yamaku?'
Wade Wilson Jr.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayuri Motozaki on Sat May 03, 2014 10:49 pm

How do you feel about being the dumbest? Sayuri thinks to herself, but out of politeness she holds her tongue. Instead she says, "It feels good. All my hard work has paid off."
Sayuri Motozaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wade Wilson Jr. on Sat May 03, 2014 11:02 pm

'Ah, come on, you're no fun!' Wade chuckles at the boring answer. 'I mean, usually when people overachieve, they've got something to prove. See, my father had a pretty shitty life until he decided to go straight and buy Deadbook. Same goes for my sister - she doesn't talk much about it, but most people with cybernetic implants haven't gotten them at a birthday party. And now the employees of thirteen restaurants in the district are calling her "boss"! Hell, even my niece only aims for the highest result possible because her blindness gives her an inferiority complex. But what about you, Motozaki?' Wade sits up and looks at his companion. 'I assumed that you've also got a complex because of your disability, but I've got a feeling that it goes deeper than that. So what is it you're trying to prove?'
Wade Wilson Jr.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayuri Motozaki on Sun May 04, 2014 12:10 am

I assumed that you've got a complex because of your disability-

Sayuri reflexively clenches her fists.

-what is it you're trying to prove?

There is a long silence.

"I don't know." Sayuri says finally.
Sayuri Motozaki

View user profile