[Open] Sora is reading a book of little significance when a random passerby appears

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Open] Sora is reading a book of little significance when a random passerby appears

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:26 am

(I wonder if I'll be told that title's too long.
Or if the lack of defense against that will stretch the page or something.
Hope not.
Edit: I forgot that the title column on this forum takes up most of the page's width already.)

I've found a little corner in the very back of the library, in which I am re-reading a collection of dark fantasy short stories, since I couldn't find much else of interest. It was the usual routine of "this looks mildly interesting, but not enough for me to actually take it. Maybe I'll come back later.", repeated a dozen or so times over before I forgot what most of the books I had glanced at even were and then gave up.
For the most part, I prefer fantasy tales with a lighter tone, but the darker stories provoke a bit more thought, and tend to produce interesting imagery of odd surrealism. I like odd surrealism.
Someone looking through books at the opposite side of the room reminds me that I'm not alone here, which is something I'm not yet sure what to think of. I usually just read in my dorm, but lately I've started associating my dorm with loneliness, since I've been spending so much time there, alone. In the library, I can know there's people around without the downside of them interrupting what I'm doing or making me uncomfortable. Most of the time.
The person has gradually made their way over here, and now stands next to where I am, glancing down at me now and then as if suggesting that I might be in his way of look at the shelves directly behind me. This is something which I miss entirely as I stare back at him and wait for him to leave.
He does.

It's not long before another random passerby appears, though.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Open] Sora is reading a book of little significance when a random passerby appears

Post by Kara Rifkin on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:39 am

Kara was carrying a considerable stack of books as she round the corner of shelves and when she made eye contact with Sora, she smiled and nodded not wanting to interrupt his reading more than she has to. She somewhat awkwardly balanced the stack with one hand and her hip while searching the row for the right home of the book on the top of the stack before sliding it into place with her other hand.
Kara Rifkin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Open] Sora is reading a book of little significance when a random passerby appears

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:46 am

I switch between looking at my book and watching the librarian balancing her stack of them. It looks precarious, though a bit of thought tells me that she's probably done this a fair few times before.
Memories of Toshiaki helping me out at the party come to mind, alongside some thoughts I had of how I probably would not have done much had I seen someone like myself in the situation I had been in.
Reading in the library instead of my dorm was a very small step toward being more outgoing, I suppose.
Perhaps this is another.
"Should I help?" I ask.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Rifkin on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:00 am

As the silence is abruptly broken, Kara freezes her movement for a second as she looks over to Sora while saying in an apparent and strange accent and with a gentle smile, "Hmm? Oh, no, I handle this alone fine. What they pays for, is it not?"
Kara Rifkin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:02 am

I nod in response and look back to my book.

I'm fine with just having offered my help. That was probably a good thing to do.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:02 am

Chiharu gives Kara a short friendly smile and wave as they pass each other around the corner of the bookshelf. She has a bright blue tennis ball in one hand and a rather large book in the other. She turns her back to Sora and begins swiftly scanning the shelf for what she's looking for, and while doing so she begins speaking.
"Hey Sora, I'm gonna ask you for a favor. But first can you put down the book and answer a quick question?"
Chiharu Kinai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:30 am

"I can."
I set the book down on my legs before picking up a folded-notebook-paper-bookmark from beside me, which I put in said book and close it. I look to Kinai, awaiting the question. People don't usually announce that they're about to ask one before they do so. Not sure if that means anything.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:57 am

Chiharu turns and says fairly quickly, "How are your reflexes?"
Immediately following those words, Chiharu tosses the ball at the wall right above Sora's left shoulder. So that, in the event that he fails to catch it in time, the ball will bounce back towards her feet.
<An underhand toss travelling between 10-14 meters per second, and he is about 2 meters away should leave him about a quarter of a second to catch it. That should be an adequate reaction time>
Chiharu Kinai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:19 am

Waiting for her question rendered me attentive and alert, but not quite for this sort of thing. It doesn't seem to be much of a problem, though. I reach for the ball in time,
but I don't grasp it properly and it falls out of my hand.
Woops.
"They're fine." I respond after looking at the ball for a couple seconds.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:38 am

"Hmm, acceptable."
She turns back around towards the book shelf for a short moment before sliding one of the books out. While she flips through its pages, quickly examining their contents, she again speaks to the boy behind herself.
<Reaction time: check, dexterity: inconsequential>
"So, how would you like to be a temporary laboratory assistant in a scientific experiment that could change the way we see the world?"
Chiharu Kinai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:43 am

"I would probably like it, but it depends on what the experiment is."
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:07 am

She closes the book in her hand and swivels in place to then begin slowly walking towards Sora while she explains her plan at a surprisingly fast pace and quiet tone.
"I am attempting to develop an artificial bioluminescent compound that closely resembles that of dinoflagellate luciferin which when catalyzed will produce light and turn into an unstable photosynthetic cell, similar to chlorphyl, to produce more oxygen and a chemical that will then react with it to turn it back into the original compound therefore producing a cyclical reaction with the only fuel being fresh air and water."
She bends down to grab the ball from the floor near Sora's feet before looking to him with a subtle smile as she asks, "You up for it?"
Chiharu Kinai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:20 am

There's a lot of big words in there, and quite honestly it's hard to keep up and I don't really get most of it. She has something of a summary at the end, though, and after a few seconds, with my eyes closed to think, I'm able to piece it together. Sort of.
I suppose the inner workings of it all shouldn't be too important to just doing lab assistant things.
"Sure." I say after opening my eyes again.

Also, she said earlier that it would change the way we see the world, and just now that somewhere in this reaction light would be produced. I wonder if that was intentional.

Back on topic, "What kind of things would I be doing?"
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:44 am

"It'll be easier to explain when we get to the chemistry room."
She then begins making her way to the Librarian's desk when she spots her in one or the aisles. Chiharu walks over to her and addresses her with a bit friendlier tone than she was using before.
"Excuse me, I would like to check these books out."
Chiharu Kinai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Rifkin on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:54 am

"Ah yes."
Kara sets the considerably smaller stack of books down on the floor before starting to walk towards her desk while motioning for Chiharu to follow. Once they are both there, she takes the two books and catalogs them as being in the possession of Chiharu Kinai and writes the due date on a card on the inside cover of the books. When she finally returns them to Chiharu, she says kindly and with a soft smile, "Enjoy, and as always, have nice day."
Kara Rifkin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:07 am

I pick up my book, get up, and follow Kinai, stopping when she goes to get the librarian's attention, and following her to the desk again afterward. Having checked out this book on a previous date, I follow Kinai out of the library without having to do anything with it.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Now that they were out of the library and walking through the primarily empty halls, Chiharu begins speaking a bit louder and clearer than before, but not by much.
"So, do you have any experience working with chemicals outside of the tiny bit we did in biology?"
<It'll help to know how much of a primer I'm going to have to give you>
Chiharu Kinai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:27 am

(oh crap chiharu posted and i never noticed
i blame notification bugs though i have no idea whether that was it or not)

"No." I reply.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top