KS: The New Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Open] Metal Gear Ellie

4 posters

Go down

[Open] Metal Gear Ellie Empty [Open] Metal Gear Ellie

Post by Ellie Wilson Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:25 am

Operation Book Eater is go!

Ellie grins to herself as she slowly makes her way through the back entrance of Yamaku, sneaking inside the empty school hallway. The little girl closes her eyes and focuses her hearing, but just as she suspected, there's not a soul around - no teachers, no students, nobody. Either they're all at the graduation ceremony happening at the moment, or they're simply being inhumanly quiet... Or dead. For the sake of her sanity, Ellie assumes the former as she taps her cane forward a few times in order to remind herself of the layout. The blind girl has visited the library a few times, both with her uncle and with Christopher, so she was fairly confident she could find her way on her own. After all, she kind of needed to - she was on an important mission!

Last week, her mother got her a book - the first part of a popular young adult series. That book was absolutely phenomenal, and it blew Ellie's mind on so many levels. Her little heart literally started racing as she learned that there was a sequel available in Braille, with a third part being translated at the moment and a four part being written by the author. After preparing some of her savings, the girl ran to the store, falling flat on her face a couple of times because it was generally a very bad idea for a blind person to run anywhere... Not that it slowed her down, of course. Unfortunately, the only bookstore in town that sold books in Braille didn't have the sequel, just the original. While it could be ordered online, the shipment would take weeks to arrive, and Ellie couldn't wait that long! Thankfully, there was a third option - the book was listed as being present in Yamaku's quite impressive library of works translated into Braille. All Ellie needed to do was get there... Which wasn't that easy considering both Wade and Christopher had disappeared off the face of the Earth, and the elementary students weren't allowed access into the library of the "grown-ups" without a regular high-schooler accompanying them. She thought about talking to Mizo or Chiharu and asking them to take her there, or at least check the book out for her, but finally decided not to cause any potential trouble for her friends and get it herself!

The plan was simple - Ellie correctly assumed that the school was going to be empty on Graduation Day. While the main entrance was probably going to be crowded, the back entrance was either going to be locked or, more likely, left wide open for anyone running late who didn't want to embarrass themselves. And, just like that, Operation Book Eater was put into motion! Once she entered the school, Ellie quickly remembered the basic route towards the library, as well as the directions and turns she needed to take in order to get there. It took her about three minutes of cautious sneaking through the empty halls to get to her destination, but at last, Ellie is standing right in front of the door leading to the library!

After opening it up slightly, the girl decides to be safe rather than sorry. 'Hello? Is anyone there?' she asks. No response. The librarian either didn't hear her or wasn't in the room at all. Ellie decides to take the risk, making a few steps forward and closing the door behind her. 'Hello?' she repeats. Again - no response. The library was definitely empty - either that, or someone was playing an elaborate joke on a blind almost-seven year old girl. Regardless, Ellie turns to her right and heads straight towards where she remembers the braille section was. A few steps forward, she stretches her little arms, feeling the bookshelves around her - this was it. She smiles to herself, her grin being a mixture of satisfied and mischievous.

Finally, the girl turns around and starts touching the spines of the books with her fingertips - the books were ordered alphabetically, so it takes her only a minute or so in order to get to the letter she needs. Her white eyes suddenly start shining as she finally finds it - the sequel, right there in front of her! Ellie pulls it out of the bookcase and feels the title on the front cover a few times, just to make sure she didn't make a mistake. She assumes that she's got about three or four hours until the graduation ceremony ends, which was probably going to be enough for her to read the book, considering it didn't appear to be particularly thick. The little girl kicks off her sandals and sits down on the beanbag in front of the books, relaxing comfortably before opening the book and placing her right index finger on the letters impatiently.

Unfortunately, her joy only lasts until the end of the prologue, when she hears the scariest sound in the world - the creaking of the door, followed by footsteps.

Crap...

Ellie freezes in place - running was completely out of the question, as due to the position of the braille wing, she had no way of leaving it without alerting the visitor, whoever that was. Her best shot is to just stay quiet and hope that she wouldn't get spotted... But the sound of approaching footsteps made her lose what little hope she had left of remaining inconspicuous. 'U-um... I can explain...' she stutters, forgetting to look up at the person despite the fact that her mother taught her it was polite to do so.
Ellie Wilson
Ellie Wilson

Back to top Go down

[Open] Metal Gear Ellie Empty Re: [Open] Metal Gear Ellie

Post by Kara Rifkin Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:58 am

Kara had the day off, which she appreciated quite a lot. However, she forgot her flashdrive in the computer at the library. The flash drive with her current novella in it. So, upon discovering this fact she took the short drive to the academy, said hello to a few people, and went to the library there. When she got to her desk she noticed that the 'returns' basket had a book in it. Rationalizing that one book can't be too much trouble for her day off, Kara decides to put the braille book in its place, but in doing so she makes another discovery. A very young girl, one who seems to have a guilty conscience.

Kara responds in a slightly amused and warm tone, "What are you explaining?"
Kara Rifkin
Kara Rifkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:35 am

Luckily the place will be empty. Mizo thought to him self. So it was quite a surprise when he entered the library and found two people already there. All he managed to say through his surprise was
"Oh, I didn't think anyone would be here."
Is that really the best I can come up with?! Hey wait a minuet...
"Ellie? what are you doing here?"
Mizo Takameshi
Mizo Takameshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:07 pm

I follow Mizo into the library before hearing something interesting.
I didn't think anyone would be here.
Nor did I.
And Mizo apparently knows one of the unexpected here-be-ers.
However, I don't, and so don't really have anything to say.
Sora Kimura
Sora Kimura

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie Wilson Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:18 pm

'I, w-well...' the little girl rolls her eyes, desperately trying to come up with an excuse about what she was doing there that won't make the woman in front of her too mad. Unfortunately, her usually quick mind is drawing a blank at the moment - as much as she wanted to concentrate, the only thought that came to her was about how mad her mother would get once she learned about this. After all, that was the first time Ellie went behind her back about anything, and while the little girl had never heard her mom raise her voice, she suspected that this was inevitable if she was caught.

Finally, the little girl remembers to look up, turning her head towards the direction where the woman's voice came from. 'I just... I wanted... I...' she mutters, trying to find the right words in Japanese to properly express her distress. A few seconds later, she finally recognizes the voice, figuring out that it's the librarian. The two of them never really spoke all that much during Ellie's visits, and every time they met, Ellie was with either Wade or Chris... Of course, that was it! Ellie could just say that she was waiting for the graduation to start and lost track of time! True, elementary schoolers weren't technically allowed to participate, but "I came to watch my (non-existent) big brother graduate and got distracted" was going to be a much better excuse than "I deliberately used the distraction of the graduation in order to sneak into a restricted area".

Except it wasn't working that way. The little girl opens her mouth to explain her carefully constructed explanation, only to get completely distracted by the sound of two more pairs of footsteps entering. Freaked out, Ellie suddenly loses the ability to speak - for all she knew, the other people in there could be other teachers who were there to yell at her. The little girl looks down like she was caught with her hand in the cookie jar, forgetting completely about her previous plan. Hearing Mizo's voice gives her at least some hope that the other people in the room aren't teachers, but that doesn't exactly make her situation any better.

'I'm really sorry...' she finally says, ultimately deciding to just be honest and hope for the best. 'I know I'm not supposed to be here, I just... Please don't call my mom!'
Ellie Wilson
Ellie Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Rifkin Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Kara takes a comfortable deep breath as she thinks of how to handle the situation before finally saying, "Firstly, I am not going punish you for being here, I am not supposed even to be here today. Secondly, I think you should tell why you were here all alone in empty school library."

While her American accent makes her speech somewhat awkward it still retains a soft and caring tone.
Kara Rifkin
Kara Rifkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie Wilson Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:57 am

'Um... W-well...' Ellie stutters once again. For the moment, she had to take the librarian's word that she wouldn't be punished, but the little girl still had no idea what to expect - she did break the rules, after all. There was also the fact that outright admitting that she sneaked in just to read a book was pretty embarrassing, especially in front of Mizo, who was undoubtedly going to start asking questions like "why didn't you ask me for help", and that wasn't going to lead to anything good. Then again, the librarian spoke with a weird accent... Perhaps she understood English? If she did, then that was an easy way for Ellie to explain her situation without attracting unnecessary attention. And besides, she was more comfortable with English than she was with Japanese, considering it was one of her native languages.

'I wanted to read this, and I couldn't find it anywhere else, so I...' she quickly explains her situation in English after raising her eyes and looking at the librarian's general direction once again.
Ellie Wilson
Ellie Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Rifkin Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:38 am

Kara picked up where the little girl left off, speaking in English as well, "So you decided it would be an excellent idea to come here, alone, and presumably without your mothers consent?"
Kara Rifkin
Kara Rifkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:56 am

Mizo picked up on enough of the English to figure out what was going on. He knew Ellie loved to read like he does and he knew she must of REALLY wanted to read that book.
He knew he had to help her.
"Umm, ma'am? Ellie's Mother figured she might of wandered in here and asked us to come find her and keep an eye on her. Please don't be too hard on her ma'am, she just really loves to read."
Mizo Takameshi
Mizo Takameshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie Wilson Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:04 pm

[For the last few weeks, I've been struggling quite a lot with keeping my posts in present tense... So screw it, I'll do an experiment and try past tense, see how that works out]

Ellie turned her eyes back down towards her book as soon as the librarian lady finished speaking - so she wasn't going to get away without a scolding after all... Not that she didn't deserve it, but still, the little girl wasn't used to being scolded.

'I'm sorry...' she repeated once again. When the lady put it like that, maybe her plan wasn't that great after all...

Once Mizo started speaking, the little girl froze in place - so her mom knew about this already?!? That wasn't good... Ellie knew that her mother was pretty stressed already due to her work and her uncle's disappearance, so that was probably the last drop... The little girl bit her lip as she imagined all kinds of horrors waiting for her at home.

Well, I did bring this on myself, so I can't complain. Let's just hope mom won't be too mad at me...
Ellie Wilson
Ellie Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:34 pm

Mizo noticed the look on Ellie's face
Uh-Oh, I think I made it a little worse.
Mizo stepped over by Ellie and knelt down next to her so that he was on her height level and said
"Come on Ellie, we better go." then whispered quietly to her
"I didn't actually see your mom but we better go before she starts to look for you."
He then turned to the Librarian and said
"Sorry for the trouble ma'am, I'll take her back to her mother."
Mizo Takameshi
Mizo Takameshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm rather confused as to why Mizo is now acting as if we came here for an entirely different reason than I thought we did, and so decide not to say anything.
Sora Kimura
Sora Kimura

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie Wilson Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:01 pm

[Crap, I'm so sorry for the delay - I could've sworn I responded after Sora's post!]

Ellie gasped quietly as Mizo whispered the real reason about why he had said what he did. Suddenly, it all made sense to her - her friend was looking out for her. The little girl wanted to smile, happy that Mizo would go as far as to lie to a staff member just to get her out of trouble, but knew that doing so would have given everything away. Instead, she sorrowfully closed her book and placed it aside, then reached her hand out to grab the sandals she had taken off. After promptly slipping them back on, Ellie took her walking cane and pushed herself back on her feet before turning around to where she last heard the librarian lady's voice.

'I'm really sorry for the trouble' she apologized in English with a polite bow before cautiously reaching to where she presumed Mizo's hand was.
Ellie Wilson
Ellie Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:37 am

[no worries, work has kept me plenty busy.]

Mizo took Ellie's hand and waited until they were a good distance (which took him longer than he'd expected as going on only one crutch rather slowed him down) from the now closed library door before speaking.
"Good thing for you Kimura and I came along when we did. It looked like she was really gonna let you have it."
Mizo Takameshi
Mizo Takameshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:26 am

I'm running through the scene a second time in my head, trying to translate parts of the English portion of the conversation that I couldn't at the time, when my name catches my attention. The interruption in my thinking gets me to try a simpler solution: asking a question.
"Why did you say her mom sent us?" I ask Mizo.
Sora Kimura
Sora Kimura

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am

"Oh, that's easy." Mizo said in response
"I didn't want to see her get into to trouble just because she wanted to read a book. Sure, she probably shouldn't have snuck away from her mom like that, but I'm also pretty sure that the talking to the librarian gave her is punishment enough.The way I see it as long as we get her back to her mom before she realizes she's gone then there's no problem, wouldn't you agree Ellie?" He asked with a smile.
Mizo Takameshi
Mizo Takameshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Clever. And considerate.
I nod in understanding,
Sora Kimura
Sora Kimura

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellie Wilson Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 am

As they were walking away, Ellie noticed a strange, rhythmic tapping on the floor next to Mizo. The little girl listened intently, eventually deducing that it was most likely either a cane or a crutch, as the sounds matched the rhythm of their footsteps perfectly. She wondered if Mizo had gotten injured, or if that was part of his disability, but decided not to say anything until she felt the time was right.

Mizo Takameshi wrote:"Good thing for you Kimura and I came along when we did. It looked like she was really gonna let you have it."

'Haha, yeah!' Ellie laughed. 'Thanks, Mizo! You really saved my skin out there! The librarian lady was going to call my mom for sure!"

Next, the girl leaned forward and turned her head towards the direction of the other set of footsteps, the ones next to Mizo. She had sensed that her friend wasn't alone all the way back in the library, but it was nice to finally put a name to the... Er, sound.

'Thank you too, Kimura-san! It's pretty nice of you to help someone out even if you don't know them!' she smiled. 'Just so you know, my name is Elena Wilson, but everyone calls me Ellie!'

Mizo Takameshi wrote:"The way I see it as long as we get her back to her mom before she realizes she's gone then there's no problem, wouldn't you agree Ellie?"

'Actually, my mom thinks I went out to get myself some ice cream. I can't really sneak out of the house even if I wanted to. I'm good, but I'm not that good!'
Ellie Wilson
Ellie Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:26 am

"I didn't really help. Mizo came up with what he did while I watched." I clarify.
I made the conscious decision not to do anything at one point, even.

I proceed to listen to the explanation she gave to her mom and wonder how the amount of time it would take to sit down and read some of a book could pass for the time it would take to get some ice cream.
Sora Kimura
Sora Kimura

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:00 am

"Well if that's the case then maybe we should go and get some ice cream, that way what you told your mom won't be completely untrue. It'll be my treat."
Mizo Takameshi
Mizo Takameshi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down