[OPEN] First Encounter

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[OPEN] First Encounter

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Jimmy made his way down the hill slowly. His lungs could collapse if he wasn't careful, and he wasn't sure he could do much to strengthen them that wouldn't also risk collapse. Something of a catch-22, really. He needed to exercise to prevent his lungs from collapsing from exercise. He laughed at how ridiculous it was. He took a breath from the mask, which was attached to the oxygen tank by a clear plastic pipe. The laughter had made his breath a little shallow. He wheeled the trolley with the oxygen tank by his side as he made his way towards town.

He had been instructed to breathe from the tank whenever his breath felt short, shallow or laboured in any way which was all too often. It was too hard to tell what could cause another  lung collapse. It was almost certainly going to happen again unless he managed himself perfectly, but even then there was still a chance of collapse. A collapsed lung wasn't necessarily fatal unless in an extreme trauma or other such unlikely circumstances, but it was still a possibility that a collapse could come out of the blue and kill him outright.
His doctors had stressed the fact that this was about as likely as being run over by a car, meaning it wasn't worth worrying about, but it was still possible. That didn't bother Jimmy, he knew how to manage his lungs well. That was the best he could hope for, everything else was in the hands of chance. No use in stressing about it. He reached the bottom of the hill and saw the village. It was a cutesy old town with lots of traditional buildings. Jimmy couldn't distinguish anything from anything else, but noted the location of a convenience store that would be worth a visit at some point.

After a long time of aimless wandering, Jimmy found a large park, full of grass and trees. He saw plenty of people close to student age milling around. This was probably a good place to meet someone who studied at Yamaku. He figured he'd just observe at first, wait for someone to approach him if they felt like it. He found a spot at the trunk of a large tree and sat with his back and head resting against the tree, just watching the people passing by as he set the metal trolley with the oxygen tank by his side, taking breaths from it occasionally. He could see all kinds of disabilities, usually represented by more than just one student. He laughed to himself. He hadn't seen anyone else with an oxygen tank yet. He stood up as someone approached him.
"Hi. My name's Jimmy. Nice to meet you" He said, smiling warmly and extending a hand in greeting.

Last edited by Jimmy Cohen on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimmy Cohen

View user profile https://twitter.com/AceOfSpades_VN

Back to top Go down

Re: [OPEN] First Encounter

Post by Sora Kimura on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:42 pm

(Where is the oxygen tank?
I might post here, but I'd have to do so a bit later today. Others may still feel free to do so.
Edit: The trolley
not sure if that was mentioned before I posted this
whatever)
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:55 am

(you know what's a good idea sora
let's write an entire post before noticing the "someone approached him" part (not "he approached someone")
and then rewrite it
and then backspace by accident and go to the previous page and lose our progress so we have to write it again
\o/ )

I've started coming to the park now and then recently, for similar reasons to those for which I've started visiting the library for more than just finding books. I've come to associate my dorm with loneliness, as I spent so much time there, alone, and so wanted another space to spend my time in. The library had people about to make me feel less alone, but rarely would anyone disturb me. The park has similar conditions.
I've been sitting against a tree, reading a book that doesn't hold my interest too well, while a blue notebook lays to my left, a pencil through its spiraled spine. I was trying to practice drawing people in it earlier, but I gave up as people are complicated to draw. I think it's fitting, that people are complicated in both drawings and reality, but it's still inconvenient. Something else has been distracting me, though, and I leave my book on top of my notebook with a folded paper bookmark marking my place as I get up to satisfy my building curiosity.
This something, or someone, in this case, greets me as I approach him. For some reason, I didn't expect this, causing me to look at his extended hand for a few moments before reacting properly.
(I will assume that the extended hand is his right)
"I can't shake your hand." I tell him bluntly as I look back at him. I wave the upper portion of my right arm slightly, causing the empty sleeve below to sway in a way that would show that it is, in fact, empty. I seem to think this unimportant as I move on.
"I am Kimura Sora. Might be nice to meet you too. Don't know yet." A short pause. "Why do you have a mask and a tank?" I glance at both objects as I mention them before looking back at his face, eyes fully open from their usual half-closed state to indicate my interest in this.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 am

Jimmy grinned sheepishly.
"Oh, sorry. It's just habitual." He apologized, bringing his arm down. This boy seemed like quite an interesting person, to say the least. Jimmy could tell that Kimura was somewhat distant, and did little to hide it. Jimmy had met very few people like him before. He then remembered that he had been asked another question, about the oxygen tank.
"Oh, this thing? My lungs have a habit of collapsing. They didn't recover properly after the first time. I use this to try and prevent another collapse. If my breathing gets... irregular in any way I'm at risk and need to breathe from it. Do you see many others with these at Yamaku? Are you a student there too?"
Jimmy felt like the answer to his question about Kimura being a student was rather obvious, but one worth asking, for small talk if nothing else. Although Kimura gave off the air of someone who didn't really care for small talk. Either way, Jimmy felt lacking in direction since coming to Yamaku. Should he have visited the nurse? Or the therapist? Did he need to find a teacher to let the school  know he had arrived? He brushed the thought off. His mother's neurosis was rubbing off on him. He'd drop by to see the nurse when he got back to the school grounds, just in case. Maybe he was a little more nervous about this new start than he thought he was.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:12 pm

"I go to Yamaku, yes. I don't think there are many others with tanks like that, though. Maybe a couple." A short pause as my mind jumps from one subject to another. "So you have to bring that with you everywhere?" That seems like it'd be rather inconvenient.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm

It was refreshing for Jimmy to see someone so up front with their questions about his condition. Everyone back in Tokyo had tip-toed around the situation, acting like it hadn't happened. That just made Jimmy the elephant in the room, though. He supposed there was a lot of these straight questions about conditions around Yamaku anyway.
"Yeah. I mean, I don't technically have to bring it everywhere with me. But if I didn't and my lung collapsed, well, it probably wouldn't..." He began, his Japanese accent slipping away in the middle of his explanation. He stopped to correct himself.
"It probably wouldn't end too well for me. It's a pain in the ass, but I'd much rather wheel this thing around with me than risk having a collapse without this around. I spent a while living pretty close to death. I wasn't exactly a fan; I'd rather keep away from it for now. I bring it around all the time as a precaution more than anything. It's hard to predict when a collapse might happen. It could happen from a strong cough or something equally stupid. I only leave it if I know for certain that nothing will affect my breathing rate. Do you think you'd do the same in my position?" He asked. He figured this might be a thought-provoking question. It was more interesting than small talk, at least.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:14 am

"Yes." I answer, apparently not requiring any deep thought on my answer. I glance between the oxygen tank and the person I'm speaking to as I speak. "Death scares me. Not being able to enjoy life anymore scares me. Enjoying it a little less at times is worth it if it means I get more time to enjoy it afterward."
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:13 am

Jimmy nodded at Sora's answer.
"Exactly. If I took any stupid risks here, I think I'd be dead within days. No matter how good the staff here might be." He agreed.
Jimmy caught Sora's eyes darting between him and the oxygen tank.
"Is there something else you want to ask me about the tank? You seem pretty interested in it..."
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:22 am

"It was just the topic of what I was talking about. Maybe it's interesting to me because I've never heard of someone who has to use it like you." I face him properly as I speak. "I guess there are more inconvenient things than having to bring an oxygen tank with you everywhere, though."
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:38 am

"Yeah, this isn't a typical case. Most people fully recover from lung collapses. But it's definitely not the worst thing that could have happened. I'm sure a lot of students around here have to deal with worse than this oxygen tank. I'm sure you've got a lot of inconveniences to put up with, so I don't think I'm in any position to complain." Jimmy said, looking around the park again. He took a brief breath from the tank.
"So, what do you usually do around here?" He asked in English. He paused and realised his mistake, repeating himself in Japanese.
"Sorry. That's a bit of a habit." He apologized, giving an embarrassed smile and rubbing the back of his neck.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 pm

"It's fine." I assure him, before moving on to answer his question. "I only started coming here new and then recently. I read and try to draw sometimes. It's a nice place to do those sorts of things."
My eyes return to their usual half-closed state as I lose a bit of my interest in the conversation, as my initial questions have been answered.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:53 pm

"Cool." Jimmy stalled. He had run out of things to say, and he could tell Sora was about done too.
"Uh. I should probably go back to the school grounds, get an initial check-up with the nurse. I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing. It's been nice talking you. I'll see you around sometime." He smiled warmly again, setting his hand on the handle of his trolley. He didn't want to press Sora into conversation that had already run its course. He should probably stop by the convenience store before going back to see the nurse, he thought to himself. Hopefully he could get something half decent to eat there.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 pm

I nod, and say "bye" as I turn around to return to my original spot. I don't think I actually want to read or draw any more, so I'll just grab my stuff and head back to Yamaku, I suppose.
I'll figure out what I'm doing there when I have to.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:50 am

"Yeah. Bye." He began to turn away before stopping as an idea came into his head.
"I mean... unless you want to come with me?" Jimmy suggested with a casual shrug. He wanted to make sure he wasn't pushing an opportunity for socializing away from himself. He didn't have much in the way of direction right now. Maybe if he stuck with Sora he'd get a little more purpose.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:59 pm

I stop where I stand when he starts speaking, and hear a suggestion that saves me from having to figure out what I can do to fill the time, if only for a short while. He seems like a good enough person, as well.
"That sounds fine." I say, without turning to face him, as I had only just turned to grab my things. I proceed to finish walking to my book and notebook, pick them up, and return to Jimmy.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Jimmy gives a wide smile.
"Awesome. Mind if we stop by the store first? I need to eat something, it's been a long drive from Tokyo..." Jimmy places his hand on the trolley with his oxygen tank, ready to set off for the store.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:04 pm

"Sure." I respond.
I wonder if I should pick anything up while we're there... I don't think I need anything, though.
"So you just got here." I say as we begin walking, noticing what he said: "long drive from Tokyo."
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:00 pm

"Yep. Just arrived this morning. I would have flown, but my mother's insane and freaks out over nothing, so my family came up in the car with me so I could drop my stuff off at the dorm easier and say goodbyes. It left us with something like a 36 hour drive... I think? It certainly felt like it was that long, at least. It made for a damn long goodbye." Jimmy answered with a small chuckle as he walked next to Sora, making his way out of the park.
[OOC: I just saw an ad for some product to help lungs in the ads banner on the mobile version of this site. They're coming after me...]
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:21 pm

(Were you looking up info on collapsed lung stuff? That might alter what kinda ads you get.
If I look through Vocaloid videos for long enough, my ads sometimes become Japanese. Razz)

"I like long car rides because you get time to think and not really do much else. Maybe you'd run out of things to think about in 36 hours, though..."
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:47 pm

[Yeah, I wasn't looking at that stuff, though. That's what was so weird about it. D:]

"Exactly. I like travelling too, but it was way too long. I just ended up staring out of the car window listening to my iPod. I ran out of thoughts." Jimmy agreed, as the pair closed in on the store.
"Are you much of a music fan?" He asked.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:27 pm

(pretty spooky)

"I listen to it now and then." I state vaguely. "I like electronic music, but it's not all I listen to and which genres I prefer varies."
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:22 pm

"Me too. I'm really into music myself. Electronic music's my favorite, but I really love rock, punk and metal too." Jimmy smiled.

He tentatively entered the small store, met by the whirring and humming of lights and refrigerators. Those sounds were quite familiar to him. With his stepfather's busy working hours and his mother's issues, it was often up to him and his stepsister Ayuko to stop by the local store for ingredients to cook their own meals with. This got Jimmy thinking about his stepsister.

"Do you have any siblings?" Jimmy asked, as he absent-mindedly wandered between the shelves trying to see what was around.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:42 pm

"No." I respond, looking at the shelves despite not really wanting to buy anything. "Why do you ask?"
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:27 pm

"I dunno. Just curious, I guess. This place reminded me of a store just a few blocks down from my house. My stepsister and I would have to go there most nights to get ingredients for our meals, so I just got to wondering if you had a brother or sister."

Jimmy continued browsing the aisles, his usual creativity with the available foods was eluding him, so he went for a few packets of instant noodles with a resigned sigh. He quickly paid for his items and headed for the exit, making sure Sora didn't stop to get anything.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:01 pm

I follow Jimmy out of the store. I believe we're heading back to Yamaku now.
The thought of Yamaku reminds me that he just recently got here from Tokyo, and he is going to Yamaku with me now, so
"You're a new student." I state.
"Didn't quite realize it until now."
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top