Kanjiro Watari

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kanjiro Watari

Post by Kanjiro Watari on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:40 pm

NAME: Kanjiro Watari

DATE OF BIRTH: 22nd March 2007

CLASS: Freshman

APPEARANCE: Kanjiro has black hair and sunken blue eyes that have constant bags underneath them. He has concave cheekbones that make him look malnourished and unhealthy. He is about average height at 5'9" tall. He is often mistaken for someone much older than his 15 years. People seem to be quite intimidated by his appearance, as he looks as though he is an addict himself, yet another result of the PME. He almost constantly has a crooked smile on his face. He is incredibly skinny, his bones almost always visible underneath his skin, so he avoids wearing tight fitting clothing.

When not wearing his school uniform, he usually opts for baggy t-shirts, skinny jeans and skate shoes. He wears muted colours, dark blue, grey and black being constant staples in his outfits. He often picks at his clothing, creating holes in the fabrics, especially around his arms, leaving loose threads and large holes for a long time before he will replace an item of clothing. He always wears a cheap necklace with a small, blue crystalline stone on it, given to the orphanage by his mother when they took him in. He generally comes across as extremely scruffy in his appearance.

BACKSTORY: Kanjiro was born in Hokkaido to a drug addicted mother he knows very little about. Due to his mother's addiction, he was born with prenatal methamphetamine exposure (PME). As a result of this, from birth he has been born with several defects. His spinal cord and heart have been improperly developed, leaving him with severe scoliosis in his spine and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) in his heart, meaning the heart and lungs have to work harder to pump blood around the body. He has since had surgery on his back to help remedy the scoliosis, but he still walks with an uneven gait, leaning to the right a little even when standing still. His brain was also affected by the PME, haemorrhaging shortly after his birth, leaving him with some brain damage. This damage has not affected his intelligence but has had a huge effect on his personality. This has also resulted in many bodily tics. [See personality for more details.]

After Kanjiro's birth, social services forced his mother to put him up for adoption. He never heard from his mother again and was never told who his father was. To this day, he knows virtually nothing about his parents. He feels as though it is pointless to hold any bitterness towards his parents for his abandonment, as he feels that his mother would not have been able to care for him. He tries to stay neutral on the subject, as he would have preferred to have some sort of family to speak of, but he knows he would have been as isolated from them as he is from everyone else.

He was accepted into a nearby orphanage, but never adopted from it. The potential parents always found his manic, unsettling personality and appearance far too intimidating to want to take him home. In the orphanage, he was completely isolated from the other children. The only person he ever managed to make a small connection with was one of the staff, Hisako Koizumi. Hisako was a kind and warm woman that acted as a mother figure to Kanjiro, despite him often having trouble communicating his thoughts and feelings.

The only way he could ever connect to reality was through music, he started learning to play guitar at 10 years old, attending classes outside of the orphanage. Hisako gladly funded Kanjiro's tuition as it was the only time he ever went outside, if only for a moment. He developed a deep passion for music, blasting his ears with mostly rock and rap music from America. He felt like music was the only thing that could keep up with his manic energy. His favourite band is an experimental hip-hop/noise-hop group from the early 2010s named Death Grips, which reflect his disjointed and energetic personality well. He has a cheap black off-brand electric guitar that he saved his pocket money for over a year to afford. He often plays it, but has no amplifier to use. He enjoys fiddling with the guitar pick, even while not playing and will nearly always have one in his pocket.

Unfortunately, Kanjiro was far too much for Hisako to handle on a frequent or prolonged period of time, so she never adopted him. Instead she recommended he attend Yamaku Academy. After a while spent resisting the idea, Kanjiro realised that if anyone was ever to connect with him, it would have to be somebody at Yamaku Academy.

He was sick of the isolation and the endless disconnect between himself and others, so he decided to start attending much to the joy of Hisako and the other children at the orphanage whom he often unsettled. He is fascinated by the idea of Yamaku, hoping to finally find someone he can properly connect with. Since he has no family, his education is being funded by a government disability grant. He gets a little pocket money from the orphanage, so he has very little money to spare for anything other than essentials.

Before Yamaku, Kanjiro was educated on site at the orphanage in Hokkaido, showing an extreme proficiency for math, chemistry and physics despite never being preoccupied with studying outside of class or doing homework.

PERSONALITY: Kanjiro's condition plagues him with a multitude of issues that affect his personality. This is where his problems bother him most, causing the disconnect between him and others. He has several tics, mostly bodily, but his right eye has a tendency to twitch a little when he is severely irritated. His arms often spasm and twitch, and he taps or drums on things with his fingers almost compulsively.

He has a manic energy which he always projects, speaking in long run-on sentences at rapid speeds, often without pauses. This makes him difficult to understand, as though he is speaking in his own language of extremely long words. He also has a habit of rapidly going off subject onto tangents and never returning to his original point. Often as he speaks and goes off on tangents he will end up quoting lines from music he enjoys without showing that he's quoting anything. Although he still has lucid moments, they are becoming fewer and further between as his isolation continues to plague him. The habitual picking at his clothes come from a symptom quite common amongst long-term methamphetamine users; he feels the sensation of his skin crawling, almost as though insects are moving on his skin.

Underneath his initially abrasive nature, Kanjiro is intelligent, fiercely loyal and very thoughtful, although nobody has really seen more than a small glimpse of the real Kanjiro underneath the many eccentricities provided by his condition. The only time his tics are more or less totally suppressed is when playing guitar.

In social interactions, he heavily relies on humour as it is the only way he can speak to people and connect on any level, assuming they can even handle the manic, wild energy he has in his speech. He feels bitter and frustrated with the lack of connection between him and everyone else, often ending up frustrated and angry when he fails to communicate something. He knows that for anyone to understand him would be impossible, so he simply hopes to make a connection with someone, to finally cast off the isolation that has enveloped him since birth.

Last edited by Kanjiro Watari on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:42 am; edited 5 times in total
Kanjiro Watari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kanjiro Watari

Post by Subverse on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:59 am

Profile is pretty good for a first attempt, but I'd like to know a few things about Kanjiro:
Does he resent the fact that his parents abandoned him? It seems to have very little impact on him.
Is he really clever enough to justify paying the expensive private education bills, or is it an especially rich orphanage?

I might think of a few more, but those should keep you ticking over for now. Bump the thread when you're ready for us to take another look.
Subverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kanjiro Watari on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 am

Apologies, I did rush through this a little bit. If you come up with anything else let me know. I added a little more about his feelings towards his parents, his funding and a little more to his personality regarding his failure to communicate. Also, bump.
Kanjiro Watari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LQ-84i on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:04 am

The template has an issue where the appearance is after the backstory, please put them in the correct order where the backstory comes second after appearance. Other than this, I don't have issues with the profile. Please update the profile with the fix asked of you and we can proceed.
LQ-84i
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kanjiro Watari on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 am

Oh, I did that intentionally because I felt that his medical issues would explain aspects of his appearance and so his backstory needed to be placed first. If you still want me to change this back to normal, let me know.
Kanjiro Watari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LQ-84i on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:13 am

Yes, yes I do. It may seem minor, but while there are ways you can alter the template, this is not one of them. If someone were to read it, perhaps they may want to know why they look that way. This, I can understand. What I don't is how having it in this order changes anything other than the reaction of the one reading it. Instead of having the question, they would just accept what they read, as was stated in understanding. His medical issues would have explained his appearance either way regardless of the positioning of the paragraph.

Other than this, it's a matter of convention, it would appear somewhat out of place among the others if I accepted it as is. If someone were to place their profile in any which order and have no other reason for it other than the fact it was done here, I would be pressed to find a way to tell them.

Last edited by LQ-84i on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
LQ-84i
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kanjiro Watari on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:43 am

I understand. It's been corrected now.
Kanjiro Watari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LQ-84i on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Thank you for your understanding. Approved 1/2, please wait for another admin's approval before continuing on.
LQ-84i
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiden on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Approved! Welcome aboard!
Raiden
Admin

View user profile http://ksnewgen.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down