[OPEN] A Peaceful Breeze

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[OPEN] A Peaceful Breeze

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Sitting under a small tree just a hour and a half before sunset, He strummed on his guitar, going for a soothing riff to match the song he had going on in his head. It had been only a year and a bit since he had lose his voice, but he was happy to know he could still keep his guitar playing skill. He pulled off his head phones, wanting to listen to the relaxing sound of the wind that had been keeping him cool ever since he left the dorms that late afternoon.

"I just hope it all works out. That I can fulfill my place in the family, make friends for once, well, other than Ayane, and find love."

He grinned at his own self-made joke, knowing he'd have to focus on his studies for now and first make friends before he tried to advance in his life any further.
Ryuu Ishitawa

View user profile http://z13.invisionfree.com/Dragon_Lore/index.php?act=idx

Back to top Go down

Re: [OPEN] A Peaceful Breeze

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:12 pm

As Jimmy strolled around the courtyard he heard something over his music which grabbed his attention. Someone was playing the guitar. He paused his music.

I guess there's some musical talent around here, I wasn't really expecting that.

He saw a red-haired boy sat under a tree by the courtyard. He was quite striking. Jimmy wheeled his oxygen tank and sat on the grass nearby, but he didn't want to disturb his concentration. Jimmy just sat back and enjoyed listening to the airy, soothing guitar riff. He couldn't help but give a small smile.
Jimmy Cohen

View user profile https://twitter.com/AceOfSpades_VN

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:19 pm

The slight shuffling sound of walking grabbed his attention. Stopping his playing, he looked up see a boy wheeling along an oxygen tank. He mentally made a note not to say or ask anything in connection to that before he raised his hand and waved with a huge grin upon his face.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Jimmy grinned in return.
"Hey, man. I'm Jimmy. Sorry, I didn't mean to break your concentration." He said.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:01 pm

He placed his guitar aside and picked up his tablet, tapping away before holding it up for the other boy to see.

Hi there! I'm Ishitawa Ryuu, but you can call me Ishita-kun if you want. I'm a new student here, and no, I wasn't really concentrating with my playing, more playing what came to mind, really. Also, I'm not deaf, just a mute, so you can speak normally.

He knew he had to come up with something to say why he couldn't speak, and to him, it sounded completely better in his mind, less so reading it, but however pitiful, he'd have to put up with it for the time being. He then tapped at the tablet again before brandishing it once more.

I have so many questions to ask about the academy. Would you mind giving me a hand?
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:00 pm

"Ah, well that's good, because I don't know sign language." He chuckled.
"Well, I'm new here myself so I don't know how useful I'll be, but feel free to ask me anyway and I'll try to help if I can." His accent was obviously foreign, but he masked it well, it seemed like the accent he tried to suppress was pretty strong but it was difficult to pinpoint exactly where it came from.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:56 am

He stood up, putting his guitar strap over his left shoulder, placing his guitar at his right hip and tapped at the tablet before holding it up.

I have a million questions, but I'll narrow them down to two.

He grinned while scratching his ear before then tapping away again at the screen.

Is there a bench we can sit nearby and what time do classes start tomorrow? I want to join the kendo and light music club if their days don't clash, then  I might be able to bring back my days as part of the 'Sonic's Dynamos'.

He struck a pose as if he were on a stage, trying to look as dramatic as possible, before going into a silent laugh.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:56 am

[OOC: Your thread set in the classroom can still happen, but it'll take place a while after this one. This forum is currently having summer holiday at Yamaku.]

Jimmy laughed at Ryuu's dramatic pose.
"A bench?" Jimmy stood up and looked around, spotting a small black bench by a separate patch of grass.
"Yeah, there's one over there." He pointed.
"About class though? Well, we're on break so we don't start until September, so we've got some time before classes start again. I think morning class starts at 8:30, but I'd cross-check that with a second opinion. Might be worth asking the nurse if you go for a check-up. he's the only member of staff still on site that I've seen so far. Or one of the students that's been here longer than me, whichever you prefer."

Then something that Ryuu had typed started to sink in. He now knew why he felt a hint of recognition when he first saw him playing the guitar.
"The Sonic's Dynamos?" He raised an eyebrow.
"Oh, you're...? Damn... I didn't realise I'm in the presence of a celebrity." Jimmy grinned.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 am

[OOC: I kinda had that in mind, so I'm just placing ideas down so when that time comes, they can start up. For character development and what not.]

Ryuu gave Jimmy a thumbs-up and grinned, then started typing away.

I'm that one and only, Ryuu Ishitawa! The Lead, the Morale-Booster and the Awesome... but things have kinda toned down since I lost my voice. No big deal though, I can deal with it.

He sat down at the bench, leaning his guitar against his leg, just leaving enough room for Jimmy to sit and place his oxygen tank so that it wasn't in the way in case other would walk, or run, into. he then began tapping away a bit.

So, holidays? That's good. Means I can relax, practice my swinging my sword around a bit, shop for some accessories for my room and play my guitar. Maybe write a song in that time as well.

He tapped at his tablet before putting it down for the final time.

I'll leave the seeing the Nurse aside until I'm hurt. Seeing that most of the other students may be off-campus or just lazing around, maybe I'll go do some aimless walking around to see if I can find a trace of anyone else. So, tell me about who you are. It's a shame everyone may know me but not the other way round. I came here for a change, so I really just want to make new friends.

He gave an awkward smile, and set the tablet down, waiting for Jimmy to answer.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:39 pm

[Cool, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.]

Jimmy followed Ryuu to the bench and sat down with him, smiling as he noticed Ryuu had given some space for the oxygen tank.
"Yeah, it's a good time to start, gives a bit of time to get to know people before class. So, you want to know about me? Well I guess I could start with the basics... My Dad's a successful soccer player in Australia. I was born in Melbourne, but my Mom's Japanese, so I learned the language. They split up when I was six. Me and my Mom moved to Tokyo when I was about 9. We lived with my grandparents for a while, and Mom got remarried a few years later. I was living with my Mom, stepdad and stepsister for a while before... Before my lung collapsed..." He winced a little, whatever had caused his collapse obviously had painful memories behind it.

"So I went to hospital, stayed there for about a year. I didn't recover from the first collapse properly and had several more while I was there. Everything that could have gone wrong happened in hospital, botched surgeries, pneumonia, you name it. So my lung never fully healed properly, it has a chance of collapsing at any time so I keep this thing with me." He patted the oxygen tank to punctuate his last sentence.

"Luckily for me, the chance of a collapse being instantly fatal is pretty low. Which is good, because it's certain that I'm gonna keep having them, even while I'm here. I guess that's my story, but if you wanna know anything else, feel free to ask me."
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Ryuu gave a slightly saddened look before he perked up again, grinning and began tapping away again.

Soccer? So cool! Do you know how to play? Also, you want to hear something soothing?

He picked up his guitar, tuning it for a second before playing a slow but peaceful riff. He played it for about a few seconds before changing the melody slightly, then stopping after about a minute. He put the guitar down, back against his leg and picked up his tablet, tapping away at it.

It was the beginning of the song I was playing earlier. You seem to have heard the rest. I call it, "Yamaku's Breeze". I feel like it's the song of the academy's peaceful winds out here, and I have this quirk where I'll play my guitar when I feel something's 'own song', as I call it. So, how'd you think?

He chuckled at the end, not wanting to frighten off Jimmy, but in this context, he wanted to keep someone happy, like he did a few years back. He knew, being who he was, he could ask so many questions that he'd cause Jimmy's face to melt off, and he mentally scolded himself for asking so many.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Jimmy felt dismayed at Ryuu's saddened look, he didn't want to bring him down or anything, but he liked to be honest. Most of what he'd said didn't really bother him. But this small pang of guilt dissipated once he saw Ryuu perk up again, tapping away at his tablet.

"Heh. Well, I know how to play theoretically. I'm just not that great in practice. I could still hold my own I guess, I used to be quite the athlete, but I can't do that anymore, sadly."

With Ryuu playing the guitar again, Jimmy felt a calm wash over him. It captured the feeling of the breezy countryside perfectly. He smiled, he was already warming to the rural air of Yamaku. It was nice, calming, there wasn't really a word that properly displayed the blissful feeling that this setting had. It made Jimmy feel positive about the blank slate he had been given by coming here.

"That's awesome, man. I wish I had some musical talent. I'm an avid music listener, but playing just isn't for me I guess. It's cool that you do that for whatever inspires you, I guess it's probably a better way to express yourself than words. Sometimes they just don't quite... reflect things properly, y'know?"
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:32 pm

Ryuu gave Jimmy a thumbs-up before tapping at the screen in front of him once more.

I was born to two people who loved music, so it's in my blood. My dad played the flute and the viola in his prime years. I learnt the guitar from my aunt. She also taught me how to sing, hence my stardom. They were fun times, the years of the past, but I made a promise to look forward, however hard these new days may become. Since I'm mute, it's a bit of a pain in the backside for me to write all the time, so music helps me express my feelings a lot better. Just like you said, "Sometimes words don't quite reflect things properly". That's a good way to put it, since sometimes, you can get tongue-tied saying something, even if it's for the other person's benefit or your own, but it's a good thing. You seem like an honest guy. You keep that up and you'll be just fine.

He gave Jimmy a massive grin before standing up and pointing to the sky, tracing his finger from the setting sun to the sky behind them both, then tapped at his tablet again.

If that red-to-light-to-dark-blue is the way we can change, then why not make it happen? Who are we to limit ourselves when we have more potential than we can ever know, to make the most of what we have?

He sat down, then started to look a bit flustered.

I'm sorry if I said a lot. I'm just used to keeping the morale of my band up with speeches like those before a show. Sorry if it was long-winded.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:00 pm

"They sound like good times. I do try to be as honest as possible, I don't have anything to hide. And just like you, I'm trying to look forwards, if I stayed stuck in the past I'd be a very broken person. Yeah, I can see how it would be especially hard to communicate mute, everything would have to be phrased exactly right, wouldn't it?"

Jimmy sat back and took in Ryuu's philosphical speech, staring at the gentle sunset he was talking about.

"Very prolific. Do use that stuff just in music writing or do you write other things too? Like poetry or something? I imagine you'd be good at that... I'm sure those band speeches were quite rousing. You haven't said too much, it's been way too long since I've had proper human interaction outside of my family. It's nice to get to do this." He smiled and leaned over to take a quick breath from the oxygen tank, he'd been talking a lot and that increased his risk of collapse. Jimmy liked to play it cautious when it came to his condition, more collapses probably wouldn't kill him, but there was that small chance, and they weren't exactly a pleasant experience.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

They would be good times, but both my parents are dead, my aunt died when I was young and my grandfather died just last year, so yeah. I won't deny they weren't fun times, but sometimes I gotta face reality; face the truth of what all my fun caused in the backdrop.

Ryuu gave a sad smile, as he remembered the pain of his past.

The one that saddens me the most is my grandfather, since he raised me, and left my grandmother behind. I haven't even seen one picture of my parents, only know them from the stories that my grandparents both told me.

He turned to the setting sun, not wanting to pass any of him negativity onto Jimmy.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:06 pm

"I'm sorry for your losses. I suppose I've been lucky in that regard, I haven't had too many deaths of loved ones in my life. Not more than most really... Well, apart from..." He sighed. A deep sorrow was visible in his eyes. It was surprising how quickly his mood changed from a confident, relaxed bliss to an insecure and anxious one. It was suddenly evident that part of his confident, carefree image was self-imposed.

"I'm sorry. There's always bitterness and sorrow hidden behind even the good moments, you've just got to put it away and live in the moment, I suppose. We've all got our own baggage to carry." Jimmy mused pensively. He perked up a little as he succeeded in his struggle to put the moment he was thinking about behind him.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Like you say, we are all pieces of a broken puzzle. Just gotta finish the bigger picture to see all the good there is. Yah know, talking with you makes me relax slightly. Tells me that I'm not as alone in this world to carry the burdens of our past. Each of us has once lived under a black cloud.

Seeing that Jimmy hadn't finished the sentence before the last, he decided not to press on with his depressing talk. He put his tablet down and picked up his guitar, playing the song he had played for his friends of the band, and as loud as he could, feeling, as if it's sound would reach his loved ones, telling him that he's all the more better now with his new mindset.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 pm

"Yeah, exactly. It's nice to connect for once. It's been a while. Sometimes it's felt like nobody else has struggles of their own. Even people outside of this place have problems, it's just hard to see sometimes. Everyone just bullshits their way around being real and honest about their struggles. 'I'm fine', what does that even mean? It's just saying 'yeah, I have problems like everyone else, but I don't want to go to the effort of showing real emotion'. Then again, I'm as guiilty as anybody of doing that, so I'm not really one to talk. Sorry, I'm rambling, aren't I?" Jimmy was in an introspective mood, but he was still happy. Jimmy hoped Ryuu didn't mind, but it hadn't seemed to bother him so far. As he heard Ryuu play the guitar again he was spellbound. He hadn't shown that level of passion for anything in his life. Except...

"Fuck." He mumbled quietly in English. The reminder was still painful, he could almost feel pain in his lung again.

Why does my brain keep reminding me when I'm so close to letting it go?
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Stopping his playing, he looked to see Jimmy mutter something mutter something he didn't understand. He was curious to know what it was he said, and all the bells and whistles in his head were going off against this idea, but he put it aside. He wanted to help his friend, if he could call him that.

Do you mind if I ask you what's bugging you? I don't think I can help, but I could support you... Sorry if I'm prying a little.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:31 am

"It's ok, it's not prying. Just... The day that got me in here's been coming back to my mind with a vengeance. I hadn't really had much time to process it before, I had too many small meaningless distractions, I guess. Now that everything's slowed down I'm having time to catch up and it's hitting me hard. I... I lost someone I really cared about that day."

Just alluding to Hikari was painful. Jimmy couldn't bring himself to open up any more just yet. He hoped Ryuu would understand, he seemed pretty understanding.

"Honestly, I'd rather not talk about exactly what happened. It's a huge trauma and I have no idea how I'd react to talking about it. All I need for support is for someone to have my back. You strike me as someone who could make a good friend. And if I'm perfectly honest, it would be good to have someone I know I could be a good friend to as well. If that's not overstepping any boundaries as it is, that's all I could bring myself to ask of you. Hopefully that's all I need. These first few days here have been lonlier than I thought they would, everyone's already found their cliques, so I haven't actually had much in the way of socialising. I thought that wouldn't be the case here."

"I'll tell you what happened some day, I'm just not quite ready yet."
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:25 pm

We can stop then. I'm really sorry about asking you that. I shouldn't have should I?

Anyway, I know I sometimes push against people's personal limit, so don't mind me.

He put his hand out towards Jimmy, wanting him to take it and accept his next offer.

If you want a friend, then expect me to be one. Just a note, I can be kinda annoying sometimes, so bear with it!

Ryuu grinned, trying to pick up the mood a little. It was getting dark out, and slightly colder by the second, but he didn't want to go to the dorms just yet. He picked up his guitar and started playing an old, slow song, which he made, reminding him of his grandparents. It seemed to have a hint of sadness in it, which he played, reminding him of his lost loved ones. It was what he was feeling- something he had stopped doing for a few years, playing with his feelings. He made a silent promise to fix what he had done, and now, it was time to become the man that would lead his family towards their rightful place in life: forwards and to the stars.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 pm

"It's ok. I think I need someone like that anyway. I was never pushed by my friends in Tokyo, it felt like they didn't really care at all. I'm sure I can put up with whatever you throw at me." He winked and broke into a wide grin as he toon Ryuu's hand and shook it, accepting his offer.

As the gentle breeze got cooler with the setting sun and approaching darkness, Jimmy zipped his hoodie up and pulled the hood over his head.

The song Ryuu proceeded to play connected with him instantly. It was slow and mournful, and he could tell that it was a tribute to the family Ryuu had already said he'd lost. Yet Jimmy felt an oddly melancholic optimism behind it. Maybe that was just him thinking about his new life at Yamaku and the new bundle of joy that was due soon. His own baby brother. Well, half brother technically, but that didn't obscure Jimmy's feelings and trepidation at becoming an older brother.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:31 am

Shivering slightly after he stopped playing, He nodded at Jimmy.

Shouldn't we get back to dorms? If I stay out here any longer, I'll be here until tomorrow, playing this thing, and they cold isn't good for it's strings. Let's go, friend.

Ryuu was actually wanting Jimmy to agree with him, since he knew he would really stay out here if he wanted to, and he was having a load of fun, but he thought about Jimmy, and his condition. Cold air would not be good for him. He slung his guitar over his shoulder and tablet in hand, he looked back at Jimmy, waiting on his reply.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Cohen on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 am

"Hmm. Yeah man, it would be nice to go somewhere warm. It's sad though, I could almost stay out here all night. It's nice out here." Jimmy said, getting up and grabbing the modest trolley that held his oxygen tank, ready to head back. He tried to disguise it, but his teeth chattered a little as he spoke.
Jimmy Cohen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryuu Ishitawa on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:05 pm

Hearing Jimmy's teeth chattering through his speech made Ryuu snicker.

It really is cold out here, isn't it? You sound cold as well, buddy.

They began walking towards the dorms before calling it a day. An idea occurred to him.

Is there anything you want to ask me before we part ways later on? It seems I've been asking all the questions.
Ryuu Ishitawa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top