KS: The New Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[CLOSED] Birthday Wishes

Go down

[CLOSED] Birthday Wishes Empty [CLOSED] Birthday Wishes

Post by Sayuri Motozaki Fri May 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Sayuri wheels herself through the dorms after a busy day of school. It is also - unbeknownst to most of her classmates - her seventeenth birthday. However, Sayuri has received a message from her mother telling her that she will be coming to her dorm room to wish her a happy birthday, and drop off her presents - her father cannot attend due to business commitments, as per usual. Having been apart from her parents for over three months now, Sayuri is looking forward to at least seeing her mother again.

Sure enough, as Sayuri opens the door to her room her mother is waiting inside, a bundle of presents at her feet. "Happy birthday, Sayuri," she says, bowing respectfully to her daughter. "It's so good to see you again."

Sayuri smiles warmly and returns the bow. "It's good to see you again too, mother," she replies.

"I'm sorry your father couldn't be here too," said Sayuri's mother, "but you know how dedicated he is to his work."

"I know," says Sayuri.

Sayuri's mother sits down on the edge of the bed. "So, Sayuri, how are you enjoying life here in Yamaku?"

A lot, thought Sayuri, but the hell if I'm gonna let them know that, after the hell I gave them for sending me to this cripple school in the first place. Sayuri put on a fake scowl. "Not much."

"Have you made any friends?"

"Not many." This wasn't really a lie. Sayuri knew maybe six people at Yamaku, and she'd only consider two or three of them to be friends.

"You really should talk to more people, Sayuri," her mother said. "Sitting around on your own moping is not a healthy state to be in." Sayuri's hands twitch at the implication that she is unhealthy, but her mother doesn't notice and proceeds down her dangerous path. "Perhaps there are other students here with wheelchairs that you could talk to? They'll understand your situation, and that's a good place to start."

"I don't want people to understand my situation," snarled Sayuri, "I want them to ignore it. I want them to treat me the same as they would anyone who isn't in a wheelchair. That's all I want."

"I understand, Sayuri-"

"Do you?" Sayuri fixed her mother with a piercing glare.

Sayuri's mother, sensing she was fighting yet another losing battle, sighed and admitted defeat. "Shall we open your presents, Sayuri?"

Sayuri begrudgingly let the topic slide and wheeled herself over to the small stack of presents. Sayuri's mother handed her a small wrapped box, which she carefully unwrapped and opened. Inside was a beautiful golden necklace. What remained of Sayuri's anger immediately faded away. "Wow...this is beautiful...how much did it cost?"

"A lot" was all Sayuri's mother would say. "I'm glad you like it."

"Thank you." Sayuri immediately put the necklace on and set to work unwrapping the rest of her presents. These were mostly less glamorous; some new kitchen appliances, new colours of thread for her sewing kit, a Blu-Ray disc of a movie Sayuri had enjoyed. But Sayuri liked them all, precious as they were, being gifts from someone who, despite her recent hostility towards them, was still the most important person in her life.

"Thank you so much for these gifts, mother, " said Sayuri, bowing low.

"You're most welcome, my darling Sayuri," her mother replied. "Now, if that's all, I should get going-"

"Wait." Sayuri's voice was quiet yet decisive. With some effort, Sayuri stood up from her wheelchair, took a step forward, and hugged her mother tightly. "I love you, mother. I'm sorry I get mad at you sometimes."

"It's okay to feel angry, Sayuri," her mother reassured you. "I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. But I'm trying my best to understand. And I'll always be here for you, darling. You know that, don't you?" Sayuri nodded. "Okay. That's what's important. Now come on, back in your wheelchair, you don't want to over-exert yourself."

"I'm fine, mother," insisted Sayuri. "Just a little while longer."

They remained hugging until Sayuri had had her fill, at which point she consented to her mother steering her back into her wheelchair. After the wrapping paper had been discarded and the presents put away, Sayuri's mother went on her way. "Goodbye, Sayuri," she said as she opened the door, bowing one last time.

"Until we meet again, mother," replied Sayuri, bowing in return.

Sayuri's mother flashed one last smile at her daughter before disappearing through it and closing it behind her.
Sayuri Motozaki
Sayuri Motozaki

Back to top Go down