KS: The New Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Private) New Roommate

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

(Private) New Roommate Empty (Private) New Roommate

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Nayumi looked at the door and carefully checked the room number to make sure it was the right one. After all, the worst thing she could possibly do was intrude upon someone else's privacy because of a simple mistake. (R21... That was my new room, wasn't it?) she tried to remember, without much of a success. The girl immediately regretted not writing the number down when she had the chance, but the huge crowd that had suddenly formed around the bulletin board made her nervous, and the only thing she could do was to run away without even properly memorizing the most important detail. For a while, the girl considered going back and looking again, but figured that there would probably be even more students there, as the classes had just ended and everyone needed to see their new room assignment in order to go home. Eventually, she just decided to take the risk.

Very slowly, the girl raised her hand and carefully knocked several times, unsure of herself. "H-hello? Is anyone there... I think... I'm your roommate" she spoke out. A few seconds passed without a response. (Maybe she's not in yet...) Nayumi thought. She reached inside her pocket and picked up the small key she was given from the residential office, then gently pushed it inside the lock and turned it. The *click* indicated that this was, in fact, her room. The girl sighed with relief before placing her hand on the door and pushing it forward, revealing her new home.

The room wasn't that much bigger than the one she had been staying in thus far. In fact, the presence of two beds in there made it seem even smaller in comparison, as there was barely any space to walk around. (Well, it's not like I spend a lot of time outside of bed, anyway...) Nayumi thought, then took off her shoes and neatly placed them in the corner of the room, right beside the door. After taking her jacket off and hanging it up, the girl reached for the button of her school uniform, but stopped once she remembered that she couldn't allow herself to stay naked anymore. Since her cybernetic body lacked any skin, Nayumi couldn't really feel the clothes on her body - they didn't keep her warm or comfortable, which made them kind of an inconvenience for her. The girl sighed when she realized that she'd need to bear with it for at least the next few weeks.

After changing her large scarf with a much more indoors-friendly bandana, Nayumi took out her sketchbook and a pencil, then sat down on one of the beds. She crossed her legs and placed the empty sheet of paper in her laps, then pressed the tip of the pencil on it and began drawing, in an effort to kill time and distract herself before her roommate arrived.
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

(Private) New Roommate Empty Re: (Private) New Roommate

Post by Ichiko Asari Mon May 20, 2013 11:39 pm

'Room 21...21, 21...aha! 21."

Ichiko had packed up her stuff again - it was barely a week since she had unpacked it - and arrived at her new dorm room, travel case full of stuff in one hand, room key in the other. Ichiko was excited about meeting her new roommate: who were they, what were they like, what fascinating life had they led? A turn of the key was all it would take to find out.

Assuming they were in. That reminds me, I should probably knock first. Ichiko does so, knocking with her flesh hand (the one holding the key) as is her custom. "Hello? Miss Tachibana? Are you in? It's me, your new roommate!" Should I just go straight in now or wait for her to invite me? It's as much my room as hers...I'll wait, in case she's doing something embarrassing.
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Mon May 20, 2013 11:45 pm

"Ah!" Nayumi yelped out, startled by the sudden knocking on her door. She really didn't like it when somebody broke her concentration while she was drawing... which was something a lot of people in the school tended to do, for some reason. Then again, she couldn't really blame Asari for this - after all, this was now her home too! Hell, she wasn't even obligated to knock, but she did so anyway. Nayumi had absolutely no right to complain. "Come in! The door's unlocked!" she yelled out, slightly intrigued about what her new roommate was like.
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Tue May 21, 2013 8:33 am

Ooh, that's handy. Ichiko slips her key into her breast pocket for safekeeping and opens the door. "Hello! Tachibana, isn't it? I'm Ichiko Asari! Nice to meet you!" By now Ichiko has crossed the room, dragging her large travel case behind her, and has extended her hand ready to shake Nayumi's.
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Tue May 21, 2013 12:11 pm

The girl placed her sketchbook aside and stood up from the bed, considering it impolite to greet her new roommate for the first time while sitting down. To be perfectly honest, the energetic girl with short, blue hair that was dragging a large suitcase behind her didn't exactly match the person Nayumi thought would have been assigned to her. The girl thought that they were going to match them by personality types, or disability, or something like that, but so far, that didn't seem to be the case.

Hello! Tachibana, isn't it?, the girl introduced herself. "Just Nayumi is okay" she responded, never being one for formalities. And besides, even if she did, Ichiko was the person she'd spend at least a few weeks living with, which meant she'd inevitably learn her secret sooner or later. Really, keeping her at arm's length and not being at least a little bit friendly wasn't in her best interest. Nayumi prepared to offer her help in moving the suitcase, seeing as her new roommate seemed to be having a bit of a problem with it, but as soon as she prepared to speak, Ichiko turned around and gave her hand.

That's when she saw it. The large, uncased bionic replacing Asari's left arm stuck out like a sore thumb in Nayumi's eyes. The girl closed her eyes and sighed. (Oh, you have got to be kidding me...) she thought to herself. So that's what they meant when they said the students would match... The young cyborg felt her artificial blood starting to boil. So what, the only reason they were paired up was because they both had cybernetics?!? This was so stereotypical!! Well, in any case, Ichiko wasn't at fault here, so there was no point in expressing her disdain in front of her. "Yeah, nice to meet you too..." she responded and shook her hand. "Do you, uh... Need some help with the case?"
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Ichiko is surprised at Nayumi's height as she stands up. Wow, she's pretty tall! She seems nice so far, as well. Wait...what was that look? As she extended her hand, Nayumi's gaze seemed to drift across to the other arm, the metal arm holding the case, and just for a split second she seemed...angry. Ichiko shrugs it off. It's probably nothing.

Nayumi asks if she needs any help with her case. "Oh, yes, please and thanks." Ichiko pulls the case forward, holding the handle out in front of her so Nayumi can take hold of it.
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Tue May 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Nayumi nodded and stepped towards the door, then grabbed the suitcase's handle and dragged it inside the room. (Ugh... What does she have in there?!?) the girl wondered, noting the case's weight. When she was packing, she didn't really deem it necessary to take more than her sketchbook, some pencils, her books for school and her spare uniform, alongside what little casual clothing she had, which is why all her luggage fit quite nicely inside a handheld bag. On the other hand, Ichiko's suitcase was so heavy, even someone with a mostly cybernetic body had a bit of trouble with it. (Is that how normal people pack?) Nayumi wondered genuinely confused about whether this was standard behavior or simply a quirk of her new roommate.
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Ichiko nervously rubs the back of her head with her hand. "Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have brought so much stuff over." She chuckles nervously.
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm

"What DID you bring over, anyway? If... you don't mind me asking..." Nayumi spoke out as she carefully set down the suitcase next to Ichiko's bed.
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Tue May 21, 2013 4:10 pm

"Well, I didn't know what to bring and what not to bring, so I basically, kinda...brought everything." She chuckles nervously again. "Not literally everything, I can survive without a few things for a while, but...yeah."
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm

"Everything?" Nayumi asked curiously. "I'm not sure if you'll really need most of that stuff... After all, this is only for a week or so... Right?" she spoke out, not entirely sure of herself. The announcement made it clear that this whole 'roommates' thing would only last until the one responsible for the murders on campus had been caught. Objectively speaking, the whole situation could have been resolved in days... or not at all. There was really no way to know for sure how long this would last, so maybe Ichiko had made a good call by being safe rather than sorry. Then again, it wasn't like Nayumi really needed much to survive, in any case. The only thing of importance that she left in her old room was her computer, so she couldn't update her Deadbook and Deviantart accounts until the crisis was resolved. But since her psychologist recommended her to abstain from that anyway...

The girl sat back down on her own bed and placed the sketchbook back in her lap. The picture on it still didn't look like anything in particular, which was something she needed to change quickly in case her new roommate decided to take a look.
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 pm

"Hopefully. But I didn't wanna leave something behind and then decide later on that I wanted it and have to go back to get it." Ichiko sits on the edge of her own bed, glancing over at Nayumi. "So, whatcha up to? Drawing?"
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Tue May 21, 2013 5:38 pm

"Oh? Uh, yeah" Nayumi nodded when asked about the drawing. "That's... pretty much what I usually do when I'm home, so..." she answered honestly. Of course, she didn't do it JUST when she was at home - after all, drawing was pretty much the only thing she had left that wasn't forcibly taken from her, so she usually did that whenever she could. The brand new sketchbook that had been gifted to her a few weeks ago was already half-full with her pieces, and from the looks of it, it was probably going to get completely filled out by the end of the month.
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 pm

"Cool." Somehow, I don't think she'd like it if I kept interrupting by asking questions...I'll just let her draw for the time being.
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Wed May 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Nayumi nodded and turned her eyes back to the drawing, not sure exactly what she was supposed to do. After all, she had never shared a room with someone before, and wasn't quite aware of what passed off as rude. Would ignoring her new roommate and focusing on her picture instead be considered impolite? Or, quite the opposite - would talking to her if she wanted to be left alone make Nayumi seem pushy and annoying? The girl generally didn't know, so she simply decided to try starting a conversation and watch for signs. If she got the impression that Ichiko didn't want to speak, then she'd just keep quiet. But what was she supposed to talk about? Obvious questions such as 'Where did you get those scars?' or 'How did you lose your arm?' immediately came to mind, but Nayumi knew perfectly well that they would not only be rude, but would also lead to Ichiko asking about what her own disability was. The young cyborg was sure her secret would be out before the end of the day, but she still wanted to delay it as much as possible. After all, revealing that she lacked most of her body wasn't exactly a great way to start a friendship... Instead, she decided to ask about something else that had caught her eye earlier. "Excuse me, but..." Nayumi raised her eyes and looked back at Ichiko. "I noticed that your cybernetic arm lacks its casing. Is it... broken or something?"
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm

"Hmm? No, I just prefer wearing it like this. It looks cooler like this." I get asked stuff about my arm a lot, but not usually that specifically...she must be pretty smart. Hey, that's another good thing! I can come to her about homework and stuff!
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Wed May 22, 2013 5:20 pm

"Oh, I see..." the girl noted, interested by the response. That was a fascinating point of view for her - instead of trying to hide her cybernetics, Ichiko had embraced them, made them a part of who she was and used them to improve her own appearance. That was something Nayumi could never do - after all, her own cybernetics had gone right past what could possibly be considered 'cool' by other people, and instead had fallen straight to the bottom of the uncanny valley. No matter what she tried, she knew she could never pass off her prosthetics as anything other than creepy. Still, that wasn't really important. What truly mattered about this revelation was that it told Nayumi quite a bit about her new roommate - namely, that she didn't particularly care about conventional standards when it came to appearance.

"Is it really worth the effort? I mean, I'm guessing your clothes tend to get jammed in the mechanism from time to time... And it must be a real hassle to clean all the internal mechanisms!"
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 pm

"Well, I try to wear sleeveless clothes that don't get jammed in them, or just roll up the sleeve on this side. But if I need to wear long sleeves I just put the casing back on, I mean, it doesn't really matter since the sleeve will be covering it up. As for cleaning it, I do that every month or so, it was tedious at first but now it's just kinda become routine. I cleaned it the other day, actually, look, it's all shiny!" Ichiko tries to angle the prosthetic so it catches the light and gleams brightly.
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Nayumi looked at the shiny mechanical parts on Ichiko's arm. It was obvious that a lot of effort and attention to detail went into making every little piece sparkle. "Wow, cleaning it like that probably isn't easy..." she noted. "I mean, some parts on the inside are constantly moving around, even when you're not moving your arm, right? How do you manage to reach all of them without shutting the entire prosthetic off?"
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Wed May 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Ichiko smiles. "That's easy! I just detach the arm when I clean it! It sounds weird, I know, but it's designed to be detachable, which comes in real handy sometimes."
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Wed May 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Nayumi's eyes opened wide from surprise. "What? Really?" she asked, unable to believe how a prosthetic that could move so fluidly and effortlessly could be easily detachable. "Isn't it one of those that connect directly to your nerves and receive information directly from the brain? Those things hurt like hell when detached! How can you..."
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 pm

"It hurts a little, but I think I may have just gotten used to it where I've done it so many times now. Or I think there might have been a medical reason for it not hurting much...something to do with the..." Ichiko stares off into space, thinking. "...I can't remember exactly. But not, it's not as painful as it sounds."
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 pm

"I see..." Nayumi noted. Well, maybe simply reattaching an arm didn't hurt THAT much. However, when she went for maintenance once a month, her entire body needed to be shut down so that the necessary procedures and repairs could be performed. Turning it back on... didn't feel very nice. The girl shrugged slightly at the thought Suddenly, something occurred to Nayumi. "Wait, is that why you keep your hair short? To prevent it from going into the mechanism by accident, like, while you're sleeping or something?"
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ichiko Asari Wed May 22, 2013 10:26 pm

"Well, that's a bonus, but really I just like it this kinda length."
Ichiko Asari
Ichiko Asari

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayumi Tachibana Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 pm

"Oh, I know what you mean!" Nayumi exclaimed. "I used to keep my hair really short when I was a kid, but I had to grow it out in high school. It's just so inconvenient! It takes forever to dry up, it looks terrible unless I spend half an hour fixing it, it keeps getting in my eyes while I draw... It's really terrible!" she finished her rant. Indeed, ever since she turned 15, she had been in war with long hair, just barely tolerating it out of necessity. The data ports that could be connected to a computer in order to manage the functions of her body (like, for example, for shutting it off) were located on the back of her neck, and while a scarf conceived them just fine, a bandana couldn't do the trick. The only solution was for her to grow out her hair for the first time in her life, and, needless to say, she wasn't too pleased about that fact.
Nayumi Tachibana
Nayumi Tachibana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next