Most Important Announcement

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Most Important Announcement

Post by Raiden on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:56 am

Okay, so I'm not exactly sure how to say this carefully, so I'll just go ahead and say it directly – about a month from now, shortly after the end of the arc, the forum will be rebooted. I know I posted a similar joke for April Fools, but I assure you, this time it's for real.

Just read this post to the end before throwing bottles at my head, alright? It was a decision that wasn't exactly easy to make, but we felt it was necessary in order to preserve the forum and allow it to prosper and expand further. Because, to be honest – I don't think any of us truly expected to be waging war on cyborgs when we first learned about a Katawa Shoujo RP community, and the constantly decreasing number of new threads and character profiles prove it. As such, a reboot is necessary in order to bring the forum back to its roots and reshape it into what it was supposed to be all along – a “slice of life” about a school for disabled children. No more shonen plots. No more fights. No more cyborgs. I feel like this is the only way to bring the forum back to life and attract new members.

Now, I am perfectly aware that it's mostly my fault for making the forum stray from its course. I mean, it's not ENTIRELY my fault, but I'm willing to take about 90% of the blame for turning it into what it is. As such, I'm willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and destroy the sand castle I had spent months building, for the sake of creating a better playground for everyone else. That means that I'll need to change or outright remove a lot of my own contributions to the forum lore. Allow me to elaborate.

Following the end of the “Cybernetic Nightmare” arc, I will release a story I've been working on for a little while called “Endgame”, which was actually my planned plot for the second arc. The other admins and I figured that the forum might not survive the few months that will be needed to fully complete the arc in RP form, and since it mostly involves my characters, we have opted to just have it written out in plain prose. Once it approaches completion (which should be shortly after the end of our current arc), I'll start releasing it on the forum, with one chapter per day until it's over (there are about a dozen or so chapters, which means it should end in about two weeks or so, maybe a bit more if I experience technical difficulties). At the climax of the story, the forum will be rebooted. Our universe will be reshaped, the timeline will be rewritten, and the world as we know it will cease to be, only to be replaced with a new and better one. As a result, multiple things in the world's backstory and lore will be erased from existence, which in turn will mean that both arcs never technically happened. The result will be a brand new world that is much closer to the one we saw in the visual novel.

At this point, you're probably either preparing your torches and pitchforks, or wondering how exactly this will affect you and your characters. The answer is: Not at all!

Unlike other reboots, this isn't a blank slate where we just erase the board and start completely anew. All of the characters we have now will remain largely unchanged. Their relationships will remain, their statuses at the school will remain, really, the only thing they'll lose are a couple of memories (and some won't even lose that much). The only major difference from the original continuity that directly affects you is that the arcs never happened in the new continuity, which in turn means that everyone who died or got injured during them is now perfectly alive and well once again. If you weren't involved with the arcs, then you can literally ignore the fact that the reboot even happened and continue as usual. If you were involved, then the only thing you'll need to do is just avoid mentioning anything about the arcs – relationships you built during it will remain unchanged. For example – Hawke and Wade became good friends after being paired up as roommates and joining the investigation team that investigated Takeshi's kidnappings. In the new continuity, Hawke and Wade are still good friends, but the circumstances during which they met will be slightly different. That's the universe's way of resolving time paradoxes.

But now comes the fun part! This reboot won't be just exclusive to my characters and plots! If you want something about your character changed or retconned entirely, be sure to let me know! You want a radically different backstory? A change in appearance or personality? Some relationship that wasn't there before? An embarrassing event erased from existence? All you need to do is ask! This will be the ONLY chance you'll have to edit your profiles in almost any way you want! For smaller changes (I want this RP to have never happened), all you need to do is post in the thread I'll create. For larger ones (radical differences to backstory and/or personality), you'll have to resubmit your profile with the necessary edits made, though if you don't want to change anything, you don't need to do that at all. But, again – this will happen when the second arc approaches in conclusion.

So, I hope that clears up the in-universe implications of the reboot, so let's talk about the out-of-universe ones. First of all – we'll celebrate our new world by finally getting our very own domain name! Following the climax of “Endgame”, you'll be able to access the forum on “www.ksnewgen.com” - quickly and easily. Also – for those of you who, for one reason or another, aren't using an ad blocker, then congratulations – those annoying as hell banners will be gone alongside the old continuity! Forever! Other than that, there won't be any layout changes – I think we're all happy with how the forum works on a technical level, so there's no need to break what has already been fixed. The only thing we'll change will be a new subforum where all the threads that technically never happened (mostly arc-centric ones) will be placed for convenience (so that everyone knows exactly what to avoid referencing). Aside from that, you'll also get a thread where all the changes to the lore are explained in detail. If you have even more suggestions, make sure to let me know!

Now comes the big question - why am I telling you all of this now? So that you can go nuts during the arc. Have your character do something risky! Place them in a relationship they wouldn't normally have! Have them die or be injured! Feel free to do almost anything you want, as most of it will be retconned anyway (unless you don't want it to be). Just have fun and send the old continuity off with a bang! As to when the reboot will happen – I can not say, but I am expecting it to occur within 1-2 months. Until then, please don't leave the forum! Raiden out!
Raiden
Admin

View user profile http://ksnewgen.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top