[Private] A Strike of Misfortune?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Private] A Strike of Misfortune?

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:02 am

I am walking down a trail through some woods to the next town that's name seems to have slipped my mind. I remember the inn being fairly cheap, though, and I've come to remember a few towns by their resources rather than their names.
Wait.
I stop.
I listen.
Footsteps, behind me.
I'm out in the open, but if I can hear footsteps, even faintly, then the sound of me hiding in the brush off the trail will be audible as well. Besides that, it's evening, not yet night, so I won't be impossible to see or anything. Seems I've little choice in the matter, though. Things go more smoothly if surprise is on my side, and standing out here won't put surprise on my side. I'll just have to hope the passerby thinks the ruffling of leaves to be something of less significance than is worth arming for.
I pull my mask down, take my sickle in my left hand, run four or five meters off the trail, behind a tree and surrounded by brush, and crouch. I keep sharp eye and ear out for whoever this may be, hoping it's their unlucky day and not mine. It sounds like only one set of feet, which means this can probably only go so wrong, but settling into a feeling of safety is hard at a time like this.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Private] A Strike of Misfortune?

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:11 am

Along the road comes a large figure, dressed head to toe in black platemail with crimson detailing. On the chest shows Broken Crown of the Grimm Krewe, a sign known and feared in the local area; a sign known to belong to the rebels under the charge of the infamous Eric Grimm - a radical who's only desire is to see the death of King Raiden and the rise of a new government.

Behind the figure a huge destrier follows, the armour bought at an extortionate price but apparently it didn't come with the horse. Not that it was needed - it didn't do all that much.

The figure carries a cruel looking mace and a large kite shield, also bearing the mark of Eric Grimm.

When the figure hears rustling in the forest to it's left, it quickly readies its mace and prepares for any danger.

"Who's there?" It calls out in a gruff voice.
Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:30 am

My "victim" is armed from head to toe.
Have the tables finally turned?

Do I expose myself or try to remain hidden? My presence is already known, so I can't take this one by surprise, but will they search for me or just pass by and wait for me to make my move, at which point I could just let them carry on? No, they probably know better than to let the opponent have his way. If I don't come out, they'll find me.

To the figure's left, where the previous noise was heard, someone stands up. As this someone steps out from hiding into the path, though keeping safe distance from his opponent, his equipment is more easily visible. He has full black leather armor, and a dark purple hooded cloak that reaches about down to his wrists. If given closer inspection, one could tell that this outfit is a bit worn. In his left hand is a sickle, and his right is open as if holding something or ready to do so. On his back is a scythe. Perhaps the most distinctive feature of him is his mask; it is composed of steel, with the outline of a tear embossed under the right eye-hole. There is a scratch at the left cheek area that doesn't look to be by design.

(Back to first person:) And they have the mark of Grimm. I'm not sure how I should feel about that.
I wait for the person two meters in front of me to say something, as I don't know what to do myself. I note that this looks to be a situation more fit for my scythe, and therefor the first thing I should do should a fight commence.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:56 am

The infamous masked bandit. Petty criminal.

The armored brute lowers its weapons.

"If you try to steal anything from me you won't live." A voice from behind the helmet says, clearly not bluffing.

Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:12 am

Seems to have full confidence that he could slaughter me as well. Probably doesn't realize I can still hurt him through that armor, but should I take my chances?
"What gives you such confidence?" I ask. It's not a threat; I haven't raised my weapon. Hopefully I can gather some information about the situation at hand, and hopefully my question isn't misinterpreted.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:18 am

A cold laugh penetrates the tense silence.

"I'm good at what I do." The figure replies, with an odd edge to its voice - almost pride.

The stranger slackens its grip on the mace, and rests the head against the floor, leaning slightly on it.

"I hear you are also good at what you do, bandit."
Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:48 pm

That's a more vague answer than I'd hoped for, though not more vague than I expected. The laugh verifies further that this person fully believes he could take me, or maybe he just wants me to thinks so...
No, full plate-mail warrior against a leather-armored bandit. Mace against what might look like an improvised weapon. He's not bluffing. And he's heard of me and that I am a bit more significant than the more common bandit, but that doesn't seem to bother him.
"You heard right."
What of it?
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 pm

"Any particular reason for your crusade of bloodshed and terror in these poor villages?" The voice asks, suddenly turning cold and raising the mace.

"You're no worse than the villainous king and his dogs that he calls "Peacekeepers"".

The peacekeepers in question were a group of elite guardsmen who made rounds around the country, serving as judges, juries and executioners.
Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 pm

"Any particular reason for your crusade of bloodshed and terror in these poor villages?"
I wouldn't expect somebody with Grimm's mark on them to care for justice and morals, so either my assumption was wrong or there's more to this than I know. Regardless, I put my sickle back at my side and take my scythe from my back instead in response to the one before me raising his weapon, as I think my scythe will be more effective here. My right hand and the scythe's blade spark once with electricity simultaneously.
"Because I want to live and I don't much have another way to go about that anymore."
"You're no worse than the villainous king and his dogs that he calls "Peacekeepers"".
No, this really seems to be about justice.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:21 am

When the scythe is electrified, a chuckle escapes the brute's helmet.

"A bandit and a mage? My, my. You're full of surprises, you are."

The figures shadow seems to elongate, and the forest around them grows darker, "And I don't like surprises. And I like people who murder for no cause other than self-gain even less."

Behind the bandit, a shadowy tendril rises from the ground, "And people I don't like don't usually live very long."

The shadow quickly strikes, snaking around the bandit's chest and dragging him to the ground.
Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:07 am

Yeah, people who attempt to murder me don't tend to live long either.
I take my right hand off the scythe and use my left to attempt to hold myself up with the scythe handle in a kneeling position. I point my right hand at my attacker and form a palm-sized ball of lightning in it.
"My death would be only for your peace of mind, though, wouldn't it?" Every cause is a selfish one, in one way or another.
After the couple seconds it takes to form, the ball lightning launches towards his chest at blinding speed.
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:18 am

As soon as he lifts his hand, the black knight drops to his knees and lifts up the shield; the few seconds the ball takes to form are a blessing, and the shield absorbs the majority of the energy. With a flick of the wrist, the bandit's weapon is ripped from his grasp and caught.

"It would be for the good of the realm." The figure says, and the shadows squeeze even tighter around the bandit's limbs. A thin tendril crawls up his face, and slowly forces it's way inside his mouth.

"But you put up a good fight." It finishes, and the shadows dissipate.

If he makes a single move to hurt me, he's dead.

The figure reaches up a hand and pulls of the helmet, revealing blonde locks and the face of a woman. A good-looking woman.

With the helmet gone, the voice doesn't sound so menacing, "If you put your talents to a worthy cause, you would be useful." She says, and throws the scythe to the bandit.
Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:41 am

What was that? Attempted to put an end to my wrong-doings and stops as soon as she has the chance to do so?
"If you put your talents to a worthy cause, you would be useful."
I catch my scythe after it's thrown to me.
"I'm well aware." I inform her. Also, it's a her. Mildly interesting. Takes me a few seconds of being busy with processing that I very nearly died before I remember that she has the Broken Crown on her armor and shield. That wasn't a vague bunch of empty words.
I stand up. My scythe is still in hands as I am not quite trusting of this person, but I am not in a battle stance, nor have I charged the blade. It's almost a shame; with her head unarmored, this could be quick. Best not to risk the life I was so mercifully allowed to keep just a bit ago, though.
"Or does that mean you have a suggestion?"
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:45 am

"Worthy cause." she says, pointing to a large castle on the hill. "Ask to see Eric, and say that Kuri sent you."

Walking back to her horse, she climbs on and replaces her helmet.

"Don't make me regret this." She says, and digs her heels into the horse and gallops off in the other direction.
Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 am

Banditry's been working just fine. I could carry on with life as it is without risking whatever change this castle might bring.
Or I could carry on with life until me and that black knight meet again, at which point I could stop carrying on with life. The castle's changes can only be as risky.
I put my scythe on my back and look for a few seconds the direction in which said knight just left. When that's done, I walk out into the brush that I was previously hiding in and pick up my pack, containing food, coin, and civilian clothing. I put said pack on my back over my scythe. I also lift my mask back up to its usual position over my hair, under my hood. This reveals a thin, still sweating face composed of slightly pale skin, which contains brown eyes and is sat upon by dark brown, nearly black hair.
"Worthy cause, huh?"
That's up for debate, interpretation, and various other forms of uncertainty, but I begin walking toward the castle regardless. It's not long before I wonder how the castle's guards and whatnot will know me as a trustworthy - again, up for debate - individual rather than a trespasser. Kuri seems to think I'll be fine, though.

(Is a new thread started or do we timeskip to reaching the castle or...?)
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuriko Hatsuhara on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:03 am

[Make one when you're ready. I'm going to bed now though so I won't be responding till tomorrow.]
Kuriko Hatsuhara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:04 am

(I'll make one sometime tomorrow, then.)
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top