The Day This Will Pause

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Day This Will Pause

Post by Satoshi Veach on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:02 am

After coming back to the recruitment office, I had a long talk with Sgt. Annarino, the recruiter for my school. About a half hour ago, I talked to my parents and...well, I'm going to be a United States Marine.
Monday, I'm going back to the office after my folks get off of work and signing the papers. On Thursday, I'll be excused from the second half of my classes and go up to the designated place for my physical. If I pass, I'll stay in a hotel over night and be sworn in the day after. Because of my timing, I'll get my Summer vacation, be able to go to all of my friends graduation parties, and head to basic training in October. When I leave, if this website is still running (which I hope it is-this place is...it's fucking cool, guys), I'll have to put a hold on my characters for 13 weeks (~3 months in total. I'd probably get back around January 7th). After that, I'll get 10 days leave and then get sent into schooling for the specific field I pick.
I'm joining the Hastati ranks.
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Day This Will Pause

Post by Subverse on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Congratulations, Veach. As long as you're sure you're gonna join, of course.

What's the Hastati? That was an ancient Rome squad of swordsmen.... right?
Subverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NorXTNP on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Why are people congratulating other people on joining the marines, and moreover. why would anyone want that? Youve never looked like the kind of guy that would want that.
I am sorry but i have no idea whats so special about being part of the army.
to make it worse part of the american marines which are by far :
1) in greatest danger
2) the maybe worst one to serve for.
(going by facts ive collected all around the world in news and books and wikipedia articles. not trying to talk it down. Good luck to you but i dont see the reason,if you dont mind explaining i ll be listening)

NorXTNP
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:26 pm

A friendly (and completely random) reminder kids. Don't feed the trolls. ^

I hope everything goes well for you Troy.
Chiharu Kinai

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sora Kimura on Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:34 pm

I wish you luck. (as there's not much else I can do)
Sora Kimura

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NorXTNP on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Chiharu Kinai wrote:A friendly (and completely random) reminder kids. Don't feed the trolls. ^

I hope everything goes well for you Troy.

i dont think that this is trolling as i wish him good luck and well being.
i just dont see the apeal and had hoped he could sheer some light on it.

and when i said "you dont look like" ive ment the stuff that hes posting on facebook n shit.

and my hatred against american marines has nothing to do with america itself. I dislike "all" marines and "every soldier" from "every country" including germany. it just came to my attention that their war crime rate is a "little bit(much)" higher than it perhaps should be.

NorXTNP
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sayuri Motozaki on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Well, I wish you all the best, dude ^_^
Sayuri Motozaki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sanadamushi on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 am

Good luck! Although, like NorXTNP, I don't really see the appeal in joining the frontlines. I know several soldier's kids who sometimes weren't sure their dads would make it home. My dad's in the army, but he's an engineer, so he's usually not in much danger.
Midori Sanadamushi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:00 am

I do not look for attention. Social mediums just send out the message best. If I wanted attention, I would have followed the crowd more and probably switched plans so I could tell people I'm joining the military multiple times. ;P
Well, Nor, I guess it's an American thing. I myself am doing it for a mixture of having a better life afterward and for being able to (cheesy dork alert) possibly give someone else a better life. I'm looking into aircraft mechanics, not infantry (there's no more spot positions for them in my area anyway). I should be fine, unless I'm shipped to the middle of Afghanistan where military bases are actually able to be hit by mortars. Even then, I'd have overwhelming odds for me. I have my own reasons to want to go into a combat role (trust me, if I were to say it you'd all find it so dorky so I'll just keep it to myself XD) but, if I made it back, my ma would probably kill me herself. X)

The Hastati were a Roman army's first line and were often made up of the youngest of the soldiers. This was still back when you had to buy your gear when joining the military so they had the lowest quality of armor and equipment in the military. Pretty much the equivalent to the Marines in today's time.
Next was the Principes, I believe, and they were all the experienced soldiers. Last were the Triarii. They were the final line in the infantry for the Romans in the early years of the empire and consisted of the old and rich, battle-hardened veterans. They were spear infantry and often had the absolute best gear since they could actually afford it. They inspired an ancient Roman saying...Ret as venit triarios? Something like that-I don't feel like looking it up-'Going to the triarii' it means. Saying 'continuing on until the end.' A personal favorite of mine. Still can't memorize the Latin saying of it. >.<
As you can imagine, I love to read about the ancient Roman military tactics.
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Subverse on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:21 am

I thought you meant you were joining up to a division or something called the "Hastati", and weren't making a joke. Silly me.
Subverse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:05 am

It wasn't a joke. Just a comparison with a history lesson. ;P
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NorXTNP on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:06 am

But look,there is the descrapancy.
You are not making anyone a better life, not even as an aircraft engineer. Expecilly as one. Every aircraft you are repairing can, and perhaps will ruin lifes, tens, hundrets, maybe a thousand. And its all because you repaired it. Aircraft is the most dangerous killer.
I just dont see the logic in that sentence, i am very sorry.

Having a better life that however i can understand, if you go to the german military you will have a hundred percent better life afterawrds too n omatter what happened (atleast if financial situation and family life standart are important to you)

anyhow, good luck then. see ya soonish i think.

NorXTNP
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:42 am

Good luck to you man, I myself haven't had the best of experiences with military people (No offense to you or any thing.), but I do wish you the best.
Mizo Takameshi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:57 pm

You look at the bad. I look at the good.
Kill one man and you could very well save 1000. Be it with the barrel of a gun or an explosive, dropped from high altitude.
Well, Mizo. You met the wrong ones. Vietnam had the soldiers that killed to kill and soldiers that went for the right reasons. Power can be given to more than just the wrong people.
And you aren't saying goodbye to me yet. I'll be leaving around October. You get to talk to this handsome fella for almost another year before you'll have to see me soon. ;D
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mizo Takameshi on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 pm

I suppose should explain a little because that may have come across wrong. My two guys I used to know rather well joined the military. They left two of the coolest guys you could know. The next time I saw them they'd bot turned into a couple of entitled jerks, who had a "Better than you because we're in the military" types. They even made me feel like crap because I hadn't chosen the same path they had. I'm not saying you're gonna turn out like that every one is different, I just haven't had the best of luck with military people.
Mizo Takameshi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Ugh, I hate when people do that. "I pertekted you so I iz a hearo!"
I have a buddy that had a rough life when he went to live with his cousin and cousin-in-law, who were in the military. Imagine the way the media sees military parents and you get his hard-ass cousins. XP
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NorXTNP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 pm

I am sorry but the argument "kill 1, save 1000" never made consistent sence to me. Theres no point in history where this would have applied, arguably only o nce. When Robespierre captured and killed the french sunking during the french revolution, but what followed under his reign showed more than enough that nothing changed.

In other moments where it might could have been true no one did...Well whatever, i dont think that war or anything like that has anything good to offer but its your choice mate, i just dont understand it, and i obviously wont understand it anytime soon. So gl

NorXTNP
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberius Hawke on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Except for, y'know, when the Nazis were stopped which saved millions of people in captivity.
Tiberius Hawke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NorXTNP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Tiberius Hawke wrote:Except for, y'know, when the Nazis were stopped which saved millions of people in captivity.

and killed millions afterwards in other captivity, am i right stalin?

no matter how you look it,the whole phase costed millions of people their life. expecilly fighting the nazis to, yknow, stop them.

And why always the nazi arguments when arguing with me?

NorXTNP
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberius Hawke on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:53 pm

I don't think we've ever spoken about the nazis, but if we have it's because it's a huge part of history and would probably be applicable in a lot of situations.

Anywho, if you are seriously trying to argue that less people would have died if Hitler had been left to run amok then I'm not entirely sure I want to talk about this further.
Tiberius Hawke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NorXTNP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Tiberius Hawke wrote:I don't think we've ever spoken about the nazis, but if we have it's because it's a huge part of history and would probably be applicable in a lot of situations.

Anywho, if you are seriously trying to argue that less people would have died if Hitler had been left to run amok then I'm not entirely sure I want to talk about this further.

No i didnt want to argue that less people would have taken damage when hitler would have lived. i want to argue that no matter what happaned, people died because they got killed.

and i am sorry, but people have this tendencys to only do nazi referneces when around me for some reasons,its like a bad pen and paper trait.

NorXTNP
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:15 am

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi: Ex-Taliban leader in the Iraq area. Four task forces were created to take him down. The United States and England were both involved in the dismantlement of his organization and was enough of a threat for the leader of the operation to take him down ordered an airstrike on the area by a squadron of F-16Cs when he found out the team sent to take him would be there in 20 minutes. He killed a lot of people and only completely stopped his brutality when he died looking at the soldier who found him in the building's rubble.
Saddam Hussein: The brutal ex-dictator of Iraq and known for his way of running a country through murder and fear. Tried and executed for his crimes against humanity.
There are more. You just don't hear it covered. Much like the other side but you can't say it doesn't exist.

Yeah, that is rather unfortunate that the only time we really mention the holocaust is when our only German native is in the conversation. XD
I shall fix that, though! Await my post in the daily blog!
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NorXTNP on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:03 am

But this is it. People died. Its really just that.

I dont complain that it would be better. i mean, let me quote the doctor here.

"Do you think i wouldn't go back in time to save them?! It is basically Pompeii or the World, and those are decisions i need to make...Thats the curse of a time lord."

While timelords d o not exists, i understand sacrefices must be made.

but just not being part of the military wouldnt mean you have to make these sacrefices. perhaps i am just so die hard against it because i actually saw murder happen, to people that were close to me. (no dont want pitty, or attention. i just dont close the book that is my life.)
Well, but whatever,then again Troy(i gonna call you like this now ha), good luck in the military. I think you got your ideals which just fit much better than mine ever will.

NorXTNP
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach on Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:00 am

Yeah, that would change someones outlook to see something like that when not, at least, prepared a little. It isn't a natural thing at all to kill so it can be very traumatic, especially when someone isn't mentally prepared.
Thanks Nor. Even without the same morals, support feels a heck-of-a-lot better than none.
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I am not an official USMC poolee.
The day I go to basic training and have to put my roleplay characters on hold will be October 14th of 2014.
Satoshi Veach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top