KS: The New Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Open] Musical convergence

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Open] Musical convergence Empty [Open] Musical convergence

Post by Chiharu Kinai Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:07 am

Having completed her homework during her classes, she decided to spend her free time after school in the music room. Alone with her old friend the Piano.

She slid on to the black bench sitting in front of the piano and slowly lifted the cover off the keys. With the same speed and care, she removes her headphones and places them on top of the piano. She takes a deep breath as she looks at the keyboard and her fingers caress across them, considering where to begin.

Her first few notes with just her right hand were high and sweet, like the first few rain drops of a storm. Soon enough her left hand joins in on the other end of the keyboard bringing forth a rumbling chord as it slowly climbs towards the middle while her right simultaneously cascades down to meet it in the middle where they begin a torrential flurry of notes and she suddenly stops.

The sound of footsteps echoes down the hall as someone approaches.

Chiharu puts her headphones back on, turns around in her seat to face the door, and waits for her visitor to arrive.
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

[Open] Musical convergence Empty Re: [Open] Musical convergence

Post by Toshiaki Endō Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 am

Toshiaki stood in the intersection of the hallways, his dark leather-bound guitar case slung across his back. He scanned the rooms around him, his expression mildly perturbed. Hawke said the music room was down this way…

His thought was interrupted by the delicate sound, a timbre he would recognize anywhere. There we go. He followed it down the hall, approaching as the notes grew deeper and stronger before stopping entirely.

He took the last few steps and looked through the open doorway, leaning one elbow against the frame. He silently observed its contents and inhabitant for several seconds.

"Well, don't stop on my account," he said with a slight grin.

Last edited by Toshiaki Endō on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

http://missingpagesroleplay.com/u27

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:46 pm

Chiharu responded in a somewhat quiet and flat tone "What makes you think I stopped for your sake? I wanted to see who was sneaking up behind me."
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:51 am

Cold.

"Just kidding, sheesh. And you can hardly call finding the music room with the door wide open 'sneaking up.' Sorry I bothered you, I guess I'll just be on my way."

He turned and started back down the hall.
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:06 am

<Did I say something wrong?> She thought to herself.
Not wanting to raise her voice, chiharu walks over to the door and lets the straight and long hall carry her voice down it.
"I never said you were bothering me either."
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:14 am

Toshi let out a quick sigh. There I go, making an ass of myself – again – in the first few days. Why am I so damn impatient lately?

He reversed himself once again to address her. "No, I suppose you didn't. I guess I assumed you'd rather be left alone so you could play."

Last edited by Toshiaki Endō on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:31 am

she responds with a subtle smile while leaning against the door frame. "I play piano more often than I meet people who appreciate it."

"Anyways, I'm curious to see how good you are with that guitar of yours." She then motions with her head in to the room behind herself while looking toward Toshi before walking in.
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:39 am

Toshiaki returned the smile. "In that case, I suppose I'll stay for a bit."

He followed her back into the music room, pulling a chair out from against the wall opposite the piano. "So, how long have you been playing? It sounded quite good from out in the hall." He set his case on the floor, placing himself in the chair.
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Thu May 01, 2014 2:08 am

Chiharu sat at the end of the piano bench and leaned back on her hands as she looked up at the ceiling in thought.

"Hm... When I was pretty young.. probably somewhere between 5 and 10 years old."

She then leaned forward to look at Toshi as she cocked her head and raised her brow while asking curiously, "How'bout you? How familiar would you say you are with your instrument?"
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Thu May 01, 2014 6:16 am

"Well," he said as he reached down to open the case, "both my parents were really into music, so I was always exposed to it."
He pulled the instrument up into his lap, the red-stained flame maple body catching the deepening light of the late afternoon.
"There was always something playing in the house. Classical, blues, jazz, rock…"
He drew a white cloth from the case and began wiping down the ebony fretboard, taking care to clean under every string, down all 22 frets.
"It started out with my dad teaching me some basic stuff. I was probably 5 or 6."
He lifted the guitar and looked down the neck, searching for any remaining dust.
"I started taking lessons when I was 9. My teacher was really good, so I learned pretty quickly."
Satisfied that there was none, he grabbed the cloth again, working around the smooth curve of one arch, down the side of the body, back up to the other.
"I mean I'd always enjoyed music, but it was her that made me really start to take it seriously."
He finished polishing the front face, from the pickguard to the twin f-holes.
"My school was really into everyone having some kind of fine-arts hobby too, so I was able to put a good deal of time into learning."
He plucked gently at the strings, listening for their tuning.
"So, what motivated you to start playing?" he asked, looking down at the fretboard as he picked out harmonics, adjusting as he went.
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Fri May 02, 2014 12:44 am

She looked up towards the corner of the walls as she searched for an answer but then simply shrugged and said, "Does someone need motivation to do something fun?"
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Fri May 02, 2014 4:49 am

"I'd say that's a good motivation in and of itself," he replied with a nostalgic grin.

He moved his left hand down from the tuning pegs to the neck and strummed a few chords. Pleased with his work, he cracked his knuckles and began running through scales, slowly increasing his speed. His eyes intently followed his long, agile fingers, flashes of pale tan across the ebony surface.
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Fri May 02, 2014 5:09 am

Having shifted in her seat, and watched Toshi go through his excercises while leaning forward on to her arms crossed over the lifted fallboard, Chiharu sat up straight and asked, "Have you ever tried Improvisation?"
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Fri May 02, 2014 6:12 am

His eyes moved up to meet Chiharu's, his fingers finding their way on their own.

"Well, I wouldn't be much of a musician if I only ever played things that were already written, would I?" he answered, a hint of playful humor in his deep voice.

He switched to more jazz-appropriate scales, alternating between pentatonics and whole-tone hexatonics. Upon completing those on middle E, he stopped suddenly.

"What'll it be then?"
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Sun May 04, 2014 5:59 am

Chiharu let out a smirk before saying, "Whatever we want."

She wasted no time and began playing. Starting low and slow, it didn't take long for it to be obvious that she's playing in D minor. She then picked up a steadier pace with a definite pattern in her notes, prompting Toshi to join in.
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Sun May 04, 2014 6:31 am

Toshi listened attentively, letting her take the lead.

After giving her a few phrases to set a tempo and rhythm, he joined in, strumming a simple chord progression in an offbeat eighth-note pattern.
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Sat May 10, 2014 7:08 pm

After a couple moments of the two of them mixing together seamlessly in the air, Chiharu decided to change things up, leaving the bass and rythm to Toshi as she takes the melody in the high notes. At first it was calm and clear, but it gradually grew a distressed feel as her use of the sustaining pedal became more prevalent.
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Sat May 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Toshi continued to study her playing, introducing some arpeggiated figures into his countermelody and quickening his pace.
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Sun May 11, 2014 1:17 am

Chiharu picked up on his change in tempo as well as a common note between every other chord. So she compensated to follow his tempo, and then exceeded it, allowing everything to bleed together, in a tremendous cacophony of sound that was on the edge of pandemonium, for but an instant before she let go.

And then there was that one note.

Slowly

Repeated

Alone

However, it began to grow into something new. The one note lead into a different key. Only a couple steps down the spectrum but enough to be noticeable within merely a second. The tone held a sense of rebellion and pride, one of hope and strife. She did not wait for Toshi to follow. She resumed the speed they had before the transition keeping it steady with her left hand setting the rythm again, Darkness. While her right fought against it's oppression, flying through notes four times as fast, Light.
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach Sun May 11, 2014 2:08 am

My eyes open with a jolt.

Across the hall in an open classroom I stand, freshly woken from my narcolepticly-induced slumber. My eyes feel heavy with sleep, as if they were shut for 22 days and 16 minutes.

The sound of music beckons me to exit the class room in an attempt to find the pot of gold at the end of the pleasant-sounding rainbow.

My feet act without an accomplice to drag me across the hall and to a familiar room, from which the entwined flow of piano and guitar comes from.

Moving slow from the confusion of post slumber, I don't make much noise on my way over and when I peek into the door to find Chiharu and an unfamiliar face.

It is technically not my business to stand there in the doorway and listen but what do you expect when someone plays a bit of music with someone else with the door wide open for anyone to peak in?

Last edited by Satoshi Veach on Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Satoshi Veach
Satoshi Veach

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Sun May 11, 2014 2:20 am

Toshi followed her key change, shifting his style accordingly.
High tremolos and trills were interspersed among low chord progressions, like flickers of a flame set against a dark and stormy sky.

He noticed the newcomer in the doorway, nodding to him in greeting while continuing to play.
Toshiaki Endō
Toshiaki Endō

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiharu Kinai Sun May 11, 2014 2:48 am

Chiharu's back is to the door and it seems that she does not notice the visitor as she continues playing.

The tribulation continues for a short time as it grows in volume to its culmination. And then the victor is evident as the tone settles back down to a stream of notes trickling into a gradual, peaceful, silence.

After taking a deep and silent breath, Chiharu turns around and begins speaking in a quiet tone, even quieter than her usual.

"Did we wake you up?"
Chiharu Kinai
Chiharu Kinai

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach Sun May 11, 2014 3:00 am

To be honest...I don't really know.

I just woke up and their was music playing.

The way I see it, there could be two possibilities:

One: The music tugged on strings of my consciousness until I woke up because of it.

Or two: I woke up on my own and I did it quickly because of an ending to a dream I had or I awoke quickly because I just awoke quickly.

The issue with it though, is I hardly ever have dreams so I do not know.

"I remember you telling me that you have experience on the piano a while back but I didn't think you were...well...like that."

I turn to the boy with the guitar and lightly bow.

"My name is Veach. It's a pleasure."
Satoshi Veach
Satoshi Veach

Back to top Go down

Post by Toshiaki Endō Sun May 11, 2014 3:18 am

"Toshiaki Endō," he replied. "Nice to meet you."

Stretching his fingers, he started to play again, this time a Spanish-styled piece.