KS: The New Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Touka Fumisura

3 posters

Go down

Touka Fumisura Empty Touka Fumisura

Post by Touka Fumisura Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm

NAME: Touka Fumisura
CLASS: Junior
APPEARANCE: Touka has long, long black hair and striking, bright crimson eyes. She is in rather good shape, as her body is strong, lithe and athletic. When not wearing the school uniform, she wears a black tee-shirt and blue jeans. Touka is surprisingly tall, standing at a solid 5'10" and weighing in at about 120 lbs.
Touka Fumisura Takanashi.Touka_.full_.1326406
BACKSTORY: Touko suffers from MELAS syndrome, which is caused by mutations in her DNA. Her symptoms are muscle weakness and pain, recurrent headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, seizures, abdominal pain, extreme tiredness (fatigue), and difficulty breathing. Her seizures are, for the most part, nearly completely under control, and she does not suffer from any bowel control issues, but she suffers from frequent headaches, and she often steps out for fresh air. She is at Yamaku because her doctors believe that the stress of city life may exacerbate her condition and further shorten her already immensely short lifespan of merely five years. While at Yamaku, she will be testing different combinations of medicines, in the hopes that eventually her symptoms will be brought under control. Should she stop taking her medicine, she would begin to suffer from frequent seizures. The symptoms that give her the most trouble are the frequent headaches, fatigue, difficulty breathing, loss of appetite, and occasional random vomiting. MELAS syndrome is progressive and fatal; no cure has been found, so she is constantly given experimental treatments, of which half the medicine is vitamins and antioxidants.

Touka comes from a normal family that lived in a normal town. She was an energetic youth; she constantly got into little playground scraps, always came home with a variety of light injuries from frequent and various misadventures. She laughed, cried, made friends, lost friends, fell in and out of love, and fantasized about relationships with members of the opposite sex. She was completely normal in just about every way, and she liked the somewhat small town she was growing up in. If you ever asked her what she wanted to be when she grows up, she would proudly proclaim she wanted to be a chef. She was close to her family, and she remains close even after eventually going to Yamaku.

Touka was a smart lass in her teens; so smart, that she moved to the big city with her family to pursue a better education, which she got. She earned her way into a high-end middle school, and she was learning more. However, it was here that Touka realized that perhaps she had been too hasty in asking her all-too-eager parents if she could go to a better school, as life in the city, though it had its charms, wasn't quite what Touka had realized it would be. However, realizing her parents would be disappointed with her, she soldiered through it, despite having much fewer friends here.

Eventually, Touka got through middle school, hoping high school would be better. Unfortunately for her, it wasn't; she was a target of scorn and dislike for many of her peers for speaking her mind so freely; this was something Touka was used to doing - however, in these above-average schools, the lower-high society kids believed in something far different. To a large number of her peers, Touka was just some country bumpkin who didn't know when to keep her mouth shut. Sometimes, if she got a better grade than most of the class, someone would vandalize her belongings in the school in revenge, since she would get praise from the teacher that was meant for someone else, apparently.

Touka disliked it here, even though the majority of the student body was somewhat nice to her. She craved more polite, personal interactions with people she knew well. However, she was finding it exceedingly difficult to make friends with anyone here. However, she wanted to please her parents, so she continued to keep most of her problems to herself, as she had done for a few years beforehand - what was a few more untold stories to her, anyway? Touka kept telling herself that eventually, things would brighten up; while she disliked school in the city, it did have its exceedingly enjoyable moments, which were really nice.

One day, most of the way of the way through her first year in high school, during her sixteenth year of life, Touka had to excuse herself in the middle of a test for not feeling well. She had a slight headache, and her stomach hurt a little. She went in search of the infirmary, hoping she could just ride out the pain while napping on a bed. She did, and the pain soon subsided, and Touka returned to class.

However, something was wrong. More and more frequently over the next three days, Touka had to visit the nurse, to the point where she was eventually staying in the infirmary while she rode out some new symptom. The nurse had to notify Touka's parents, who took her to the hospital. She was checked out by a doctor, who at first could find nothing wrong with her. A variety of tests were performed, once he heard from Touka, much to her parents' horror, the number and severity of her symptoms. However, she was in apparent perfect health.

Baffled, the doctor had Touka stay overnight, during which she had a seizure. When Touka's test results came back, the doctor was forced to inform the teenager and her parents of the grave news; Touka had developed MELAS syndrome, and she had, at most, an expected life span of about five more years to live before the progressive disease, spawned by mitochondrial mutations, killed her. Furthermore, the doctor believed that, though stress was not a factor in causing her ailment, stress may have been the trigger that lit the fuse for this ticking time bomb. He suggested that Touka go to Yamaku Academy, in the hopes that maybe if she wasn't stressed out too much, maybe she would live through her now rather short life expectancy.

Her parents agreed; they wanted their daughter to be as happy as possible for her remaining five years of life. Touka is in denial; she believes that eventually she will be cured, or she will just outlive what is now killing her. However, deep down, she knows this is not true, but she refuses to accept this, and instead continues to believe that somehow she will survive.

PERSONALITY: Touka is extremely blunt; she says what is on her mind, and what is on her mind is usually something sort of rude. She's not a mean person by nature, but she just happens to say things that happen to be rude. She's nice, but she just isn't good at getting along well with others, so her friends have to learn to deal with her slightly abrasive personality. She's someone that keeps all her pain - literal and metaphorical - inside, which isn't a good thing, considering her condition. She usually acts grumpy when she's in pain.

Last edited by Touka Fumisura on Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : On initial post, a whole section failed to appear somehow. Fixed life expectancy - I said half, not five years from symptom onset, which was something else I failed to notice.)
Touka Fumisura
Touka Fumisura

Back to top Go down

Touka Fumisura Empty Re: Touka Fumisura

Post by Raiden Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:35 pm

You make the same mistake as maybe half the other roleplayers here and assume that "Backstory" = "Describe your character's disability" instead of, you know, "Describe your character's backstory". While knowing about her quite unique and interesting disability is important, you haven't said literally anything about her life up to this point. Just walk us through her biography - tell us about her early childhood, her family, her relationship with said family, her school days, how she coped with her disability while growing up, her friends, her dreams, her fears, her hobbies, etc etc. I don't want just a backstory - I want one that is both interesting to read on its own (doesn't have to be anything special, but if you just write "She had a completely normal and ordinary life" I'm sending you back to the drawing board - no one with a disability has a completely "normal" life) AND is consistent with the character. After reading it, I must be able to say to myself "Yes, I can totally see why she came to be who she is. I understand why she's always speaking her mind, why she isn't getting along with people, why she keeps her pain inside, etc". After you revise that bit and add the necessary information, we'll take another look at the character. Just please bump the thread up with a new post after you edit it, so that we know when it's ready.
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

https://ksnewgen.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Touka Fumisura Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm

She has a healthy relationship with her family. As long as Touko continues to maintain the status quo, they leave her alone. They do normal family stuff.

Touko currently doesn't know what to think about her disease. She knows it will eventually kill her, but she has yet to accept that she's going to die soon. She is currently in denial, and she is currently thinking "Well, I'll get better eventually."

I left these out because I didn't see a place for them.
Touka Fumisura
Touka Fumisura

Back to top Go down

Post by LQ-84i Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Not seeing anything much else wrong the second time, maybe a bit skint in the early period but if there really isn't much to say, then there isn't much there to say. Also, what you just wrote might have a place, it's all a matter of wording and placement. For instance what you just wrote for what she thinks of the disease could come at the end.

Also, I learned a bit of the syndrome myself whilst looking over this, it actually usually does affect a person after seemingly normal childhood development. Of course life thereafter would become very difficult, you could almost get away with a seemingly normal early and middle period here because of that. We'd probably still want something interesting to happen a little early on during those times, but, well, I can't force that upon you.

I see no real issues that are pertinent here based on that, you should be able to add how her family life was early on in the backstory and how she thinks of the disease at the end, just to assist you with reference points.

I normally abstain here when there's doubts, but I'll give you my approval, with the mention of adding those in to clear up any further doubts.

LQ-84i
LQ-84i
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiden Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Don't worry about the info above - I just asked those questions to point you in the right direction. I didn't really demand an answer to every single one of them. Your profile is near perfect, you did a great job! I'm approving you immediately! As soon as another admin approves you as well, I'm locking this topic and you're free to start roleplaying!

And, just because I know NorX will ask, how did you find out about this forum? Is this just your second/third character, or did someone tell you about it?
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Touka Fumisura Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 pm

1. I have done as asked. There is a tidbit about how close she is with her parents, and there is a bit about her thoughts regarding her affliction.

2. You're gonna laugh. I Binged "Katawa Shoujo roleplay." You showed up on page 3. And yes, I am new.
Touka Fumisura
Touka Fumisura

Back to top Go down

Post by LQ-84i Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Uhm, er, Raiden.

I did give the person my approval earlier actually so the count currently lies at 2, lest I am a spectral figure and don't exist anymore. study
LQ-84i
LQ-84i
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiden Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

I see! In that case, welcome to the forum! It's always nice to see new faces here! Just so you know, we have A TVTropes page. While it's far from complete and is a bit outdated, feel free to read through it and add tropes about Touka as well!

SilentFox, WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON MY FORUM?!? Shocked

In all seriousness, though, I sincerely didn't see your comment until after I made my post. Now that we've both given our approval, I'm locking the topic.
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum