KS: The New Generation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About the SCP Foundation [Out-of-Universe]

3 posters

Go down

About the SCP Foundation [Out-of-Universe] Empty About the SCP Foundation [Out-of-Universe]

Post by Raiden Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 am

When we were first discussing the reboot, the other admins and I came head-on with a very big dilemma - we found out (from the failed Facebook community and the failed Cybernetic Nightmare arc) that abnormal characters and events don't really work all that well in this setting. Despite the fact that I'm a pretty big opponent of the "Perfectly ordinary and regular high school student with nothing abnormal about them at all" trope, especially in RP (even though some people do find an appeal in it, I personally find those types of characters extremely boring to play), I was willing to make a personal sacrifice and completely disallow abnormal characters after the reboot. Hell, some of the signs of this would-be decision are still visible, such as Wade and Eric losing their powers. But then we also noticed that some people really enjoyed making and playing supernatural characters - Christopher, Ai, Ryuu, Nayumi, Mai, Oliver, etc. So the new question was - how do we allow supernatural characters without allowing them to overtake our "normal" setting?

The answer came in the form of an Internet meme.

Now, let me get one thing out of the way - the SCP Foundation is a very real thing... Or at least the concept is. We didn't come up with it - we simply stole it. Some of you might be familiar with the freeware game "SCP - Containment Breach" that pretty much shot the Foundation into the mainstream (and, alongside "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" and "Happy Wheels", helped elevate PewDiePie into an Internet sensation, but that's irrelevant right now). Basically - as you'll learn from the other thread, the SCP Foundation is an international, private and top-secret organization (meaning no one has authority over it or its actions except for itself) that helps contain "abnormal" subjects - it could be something as trivial as a camera that shoots what you want to be doing instead of what you're actually doing or something as deadly as the most dangerous creature on Earth. The rule is basically - if it's not normal, contain it and study it.

But we decided to do things a bit differently here, as most supernatural characters can't really roleplay all that well from behind bars. Thus, we decided that subjects classified as "Safe" (meaning, they don't pose an immediate danger to people) would be allowed to roam free, under supervision from the Foundation's so-called "agents". Hell, maybe they were even forced to attend Yamaku (it would be perfect, considering its purpose and setting) by the organization itself, much like how Nayumi was after her discovery. On the other hand, subjects classified as "Euclid" or, Heaven forbid, "Keter", would essentially be playing "The Runaway", kinda like how Ryuu is right now - hiding their powers and/or true nature from everyone and anyone unless it's absolutely necessary to use them (or if they trust someone implicitly). Runaways from the Foundation site would also be acceptable (only if they're "Euclid", meaning mild danger - the Foundation would rather destroy the site itself rather than allow a "Keter"-level subject to escape) as new characters, who'd obviously need to assume a new identity and keep a very low profile. Of course, playing SCP agents or escaped researchers (you can't quit the Foundation - once you're there, you're there for life unless you defect and start keeping a VERY low profile) will be acceptable as well.

Now, let's talk about the subjects themselves. You can assume that most of the subjects listed on the official SCP page (barring a couple of exceptions) also exist in this universe, but none of them is located in the Japanese SCP site. Instead, the ones that ARE contained there will be listed specifically in this subforum, and their entries will be written by... you. Yes, you! *points finger* Notice how this subforum is unlocked. That's because you can write and submit SCP subject profiles yourself. Why? Maybe you can use them to advance your character, or provide some backstory to them. Maybe you want to write the profile of your own character, if they're an escapee. Or maybe you just want to do it because it's fun, and inventing SCPs is a nice creative challenge. Keep in mind, truly outrageous entries will be deleted by us, but I don't think we'll need to resort to that - since the SCP subjects probably won't come into play at all, we won't be approving or disapproving them. You just need to write them, submit them and you're good to go. You can use the main SCP site entries as a template, but if that's not enough, I'll try to write a few forum-specific SCPs just to give you a few more obvious examples.

I think that's pretty much it! Feel free to post a comment if you have any questions!
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

https://ksnewgen.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

About the SCP Foundation [Out-of-Universe] Empty Re: About the SCP Foundation [Out-of-Universe]

Post by Tiberius Hawke Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:57 pm

I freakin' LOVE the SCP Foundation. Damn I wish you had thought of this sooner... If we were to make a character that was an undercover agents would they have a designated agent "name"? Like Agent X or whatever.
Tiberius Hawke
Tiberius Hawke

Back to top Go down

About the SCP Foundation [Out-of-Universe] Empty Re: About the SCP Foundation [Out-of-Universe]

Post by Raiden Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 pm

I guess so, yeah!
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:42 pm

Sweet. I didn't feel like changing Ryuu even though I wanted to so I just avoided being him for a while. Razz
I also couldn't help but think of Men In Black when I read the information about the SCP.
Satoshi Veach
Satoshi Veach

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiden Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 pm

I can see why - the two organizations are practically identical. Only differences are that MiB focuses only on extraterrestrial threats while the SCP deals with all threats, and that the SCP is way more focused on containment than the MiB. Oh, and the SCP doesn't have Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones amongst their ranks. Yet.
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 pm

You mentioned that Ryuu is hidden when the Japanese government is the one that gave him his neural implants. So, does that mean Japan doesn't even know the SCP is there? Or perhaps, since the project Ryuu is involved with is more in the interest of the JDF, would it be that the actual government branch doesn't know about Ryuu and the JDF doesn't know about the SCP?
And, one more thing: Safe means they aren't a threat to people. So, what if they could harm someone if they really wanted to but are pacifists like Ryuu?
Satoshi Veach
Satoshi Veach

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberius Hawke Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:46 pm

That would be Euclid, I think. And I'm pretty sure the SCP is above and beyond the government, therefore only those that need-to-know know.
Tiberius Hawke
Tiberius Hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:50 pm

...Like, y'know, the government whose lands they are on.
Satoshi Veach
Satoshi Veach

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberius Hawke Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 pm

Need-to-know inside the government, I mean.
Tiberius Hawke
Tiberius Hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 pm

oooOOOOOoooooh. So, since Ryuu is experimental, he would indeed be a secret from the SCP that they didn't even know they were keeping. Cool, I'mmuh make the profile.
Wait-wait-wait-wait, so should I make it a different style? Like, more like a government research report rather than an SCP research report? Same style and stuff but no SCP code-names?
I'm sorry, I'm being a bit of the pest, aren't I? >.<
Satoshi Veach
Satoshi Veach

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberius Hawke Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 am

Profile as in a re-submission? I'd just do it as a normal profile like I did Kuriko's... When he gets found by Hideyo (if he does) then a file can be made I guess Razz
Tiberius Hawke
Tiberius Hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Satoshi Veach Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 am

Wait, I don't need to do a re-submission in a different style?
Well, I guess that would mean I don't need to re-submit one since I'm not changing his back-story. Razz
Satoshi Veach
Satoshi Veach

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberius Hawke Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:47 am

Oh really? For some reason I thought you had. Some thing about the stuttering.
Tiberius Hawke
Tiberius Hawke

Back to top Go down

Post by Raiden Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:23 am

Just to clarify, the SCP Foundation is an international organization, and its authority is above that of any country. That's what allows them to get away with what is essentially kidnapping and murder. Some higher branches of the government know about the Japanese site, but are powerless to do anything about it. And, as Hawke said, Ryuu would be classified as "Euclid". The Foundation doesn't really care about philosophies and morals - if a subject has the potential to harm humans, they'll be properly classified as such. Case in point - SCP-2001, a 14 year old girl who wants nothing more than to lead a relatively normal life and has almost never harmed anyone on purpose, but is still classified as "Keter" (aka potential world-ending danger) because of her powers. Ryuu's case isn't that much more different - his powers can kill, ergo, he's Euclid. "Safe" subjects are only those who can't harm humans any more than other humans can, even if they want to. SCP-2030 is a good example - shapeshifting powers are cool, but ultimately harmless.
Raiden
Raiden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down